1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Forgive me fellow members.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by curbowkid, Aug 12, 2012.

1. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Hats the deal with wal basses? I've never played one but I don't understand what's so special about them and why they are so expensive. School me?

2. They are highly regarded for their unique sound (Geddy Lee mid-late 80s Rush, Justin Chancellor of Tool). They command high prices due to their limited availability and build characteristics. That being said, I myself was never that crazy over them, but I do see how they appeal to some people.

3. They have a unique sound due to unique electronics without alternatives.

4. I've heard that the Swiss Army bass comes close to replicating the Wal sound at a fraction of the price.

Of course I'm referring to a Peavey T-40.

Probably not though. That Wal sound is one of a kind.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Another contributor to their high prices in america is the silly high customs taxes america slaps on UK products imo. Plus their limited availability nowadays as already mentioned. When I first played wal's back in 78 & 79 the sound more then any other made me think "Thats what a real pro bass sounds like". Once Id got it dialed in to taste was heaven. Lol. But couldnt afford to buy one on my airman pay in airforce while stationed over there at Bentwaters.

6. wackadillo

wackadillo

Oct 9, 2011
    Unrelated but my Dad,B.G.Rudy Wacker was Wing Commander at Bentwaters-Woodbridge when A-10s came to Base...wondered if u heard of him or met him? About same time period,.......by the way I never played or saw a Wal bass in person...excuse me...in bass

7. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    How vain am I? I think that they are ugly for the most part so that rules them out before I'd even play one.....OTHER than that Magnum PI helicopter stripe painted one. For me, same goes for anything by Carvin, Curbow, Carl, Zon, anything with more than 4 strings, etc. It's like a Hawaiian shirt, just can't do it.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That was helpful.

9. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Really?

The import duty on bass guitars is 5%, less than the combined state and local sales taxes if you were to buy a similarly priced instrument at a store in most US locales.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

However, if you were to import a bass to the UK from the US it has an import duty rate of 3.7% and VAT rate of 20% .

The US usually imposes tariffs/duties on countries who have already done the same to our goods going into their country, to help level the playing field. 5% vs 23.7% hardly seems silly. USA is one of the most import friendly countries on the planet. Try shipping a bass to Brazil.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Yes I remember him a little bit and the arrival of the A10s. We was pretty involved with that as security. Not as much as with the F4's in the umm, seperate ready area, Lol. But the A10's was close by. Watching the bunkers being built next door was amazing to.