Forgive me for asking

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by matty4string, Aug 22, 2017.

1. matty4string

matty4string Inactive

May 11, 2016
    I set up my jazz bass today. Set the neck relief .012 and set the string height to 5/64. When setting the string height I noticed the e string was to the deck to achieve 5/64 but the g string still had quite a few threads left at the same string height 5/64. Is that normal. I figured the e and g strings would be the same height as each other to achieve the same string height. Maybe I'm wrong

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The thicker the string is, the lower the saddle has to be set in order to compensate for that thickness.

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    measure string height form the bottom of the string not the top.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Either what he said above, or,...if you are measuring to the bottom of the string, you might have a twisted neck.

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Yeah, what that dude named Sissy Kathy said!

6. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    No, the string is sitting on top of the saddle, meaning the clearance under the string is the same regardless of the string thickness. It could be that the witness point has not been set on the strings at the saddles.

ZenG likes this.
  7. matty4string

matty4string Inactive

May 11, 2016
    I don't think so the bass is brand new from the factory. And has sat in its case. Not that it isn't possible I'm just confused

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Normal MIM Mexican bridge saddles all have the same divot for each string. That causes the G string to sit lower in said divot than the E string would. I understand what you're saying, though.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  9. Are you at 5/64th's from the string bottom to fret top on all strings?

10. matty4string

matty4string Inactive

May 11, 2016
    Yes and I checked the relif on both sides and it's the same

11. Well...if if plays great I would not sweat it too much. We have the same set up except I have a P with medium chromes. I know if I lower the string height it will buzz around the 15th fret so 5/64 with .12 relief and .19 at the nut is where I like it. I also have quite a few turns left before the saddle bottoms out. I would have said if your string height was sky high then maybe a small shim in the neck pocket might help.

12. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    No the underside of the G string is at the same height as the E string.

13. Hmm I wouldn't be too sure about that. As Low says if the grooves on the saddles are narrow and identical there's a very good chance the G will sit lower than the E because the E won't drop as far into the groove.

Lownote38 likes this.
  14. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Not always, but I won't argue with you about it. If the slot is filed exactly the same on each saddle, the string will not rest in said slot the same way. The G string (being thinner) will fall further into the slot (if the slot isn't filed very deep). A B string in the same slot would sit a bit higher. Granted, it depends on the bridge, who filed the slots, and other variables.

15. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Thank you! You said what I was trying to explain in a much better way!

16. matty4string

matty4string Inactive

May 11, 2016
    How can you come to this idea. Just out of curiosity

17. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Then the groove is undersized. I have had quite a few MIMs and none had an undersized saddle groove. I suppose if you were using an inordinately large gauge string, but let's get real. We are talking about typical occurrences, not some hypothetical extreme.

18. I can explain it for you (already did) but I can't understand it for you. : D Anyway as Turnaround said the difference isn't likely to be significant. But it could be.

matty4string likes this.
  19. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Measure each side of of the neck pocket, fretboard to bass body, and see if they're off or the same.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021