Forgive me for i have sinned...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, Feb 26, 2010.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Yes, it's true...at tonight's gig, i laid my svt 810 on its side.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

i can explain...i totally forgot that the stage was so small that only our drummer and keyboard player could fit, and i, the guitarist, and sax went on the floor in front. but the stage was only 2 feet high, so i would have blocked off the guys on top, so i had no choice but to lay it down.

i'll never do it again, though...our drummer fronts the band and gets up off the drums in between some songs. where does he stand? on my cab. grrrrrrrr!!! ok, so it's beat to hell anyway, but still...he's not a small guy.

so how did it sound? fine in the house, i guess. i kept it down and mic'ed it to keep it from sounding like crap. but i wasn't happy with my onstage sound at all. didn't help that my mic stand was in a zone where all the low notes phased out on me. and the second i kicked on any overdrive pedals, the sound was just gone.

so now, for the first time ever, i know what it's like to play in front of a horizontal 810, and just like everyone who knows about speaker science says, it blows. don't do it.

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Sometimes we do what we must :eek: Don't let it happen again :scowl: :D

3. PZapdos

PZapdos

Jan 23, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Just curious as the a scientific explanation for this? thanks! :p

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
  5. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Comb filtering is my sound, man. It's the key.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Say 10 "Hail Jamerson's" and sin no more!

7. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    We can let it slide in the future......if there are 3 or 4 of them stacked on their side:D

8. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    The issue could've been a couple of things:
    • Standing (more specifically, the position of the OP's ears were) outside of the dispersion pattern of the mid and high frequencies that provide for clarity and pitch definition.
    • There may have been some boundary cancellation. With the cab lying on its side putting the top four ten's sitting ~2 feet off the floor it's possible there was a null around 130hz or so. I wouldn't have suspected this, I actually would've expected a mild increase output due to additional area of the cabinet coupling with the floor. It's also possible there was a boundary cancellation going on with a side or back wall.
    I don't think there would've an issue with comb filtering as there was only one source of sound - the cabinet. If there is comb filtering going on at certain frequencies between speakers within that cabinet then it would be noticeable at that same degree off axis whether the cab was upright or lying down. I don't think this would be an issue for bass guitar reproduction.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    well there was also a pa that could have contributed. it wasn't a great pa but it wasn't bad as far as clubhouses at rv parks go. but i really didn't notice any nulls or lobes to speak of when i was out in the house. noticed the hell out of them onstage, though. and of course i noticed the poor dispersion. so maybe you're right...maybe it was more of a boundary cancellation thing with the pa and my cab converging right in the area i stand to make it suck.

well thanks for the additional possibilities. i think you may be right.

11. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Yeah, Jeff Ament. I reviewed his system before building mine. You can stack 6 810's wide and they aren't comb filtering... Or two wide and three sets high... Bass just works. I don't fall for it, leave the comb filtering for the high end with massive banks of horns. Oh BTW Jeff also uses all his speakers... Keeps two amps in his rack as spares incase of failure and adjusts volume as needed.

But I can understand the 810 on its side on a 2 foot high stage... and an issue. Sounds like serious monitoring clashes.

BOB

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    it was actually in front of the stage and on the floor, bob. which means there was a boundary about 2 inches behind it that certainly didn't help. i don't know...i guess it wasn't combing, but it certainly was ugly.

13. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    OK yeah bad.

14. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    +1. Best group that night - maybe better than The Who(?).

But I doubt all of those cabs are at full volume, if they're even all hooked up.

15. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    JM
    You're such a rebel; porbably an offense that well lead you straight to hell
    Would have been way cool if it sounded good though

16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    For contrition, go stand in the corner with your cab and play three verses of Jimmy B Goode. :scowl:

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Mathematically and theoretically I do not see how rotating a cabinet 90 degrees will cause it to be combed and filtered. How can it not cancel frequencies standing up but cancel frequencies when rotated?

18. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Hopefully Bill Fitz does not see this thread. :bag:

19. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    We'll have to see if there is a rehab center that can help you Jimmy! :bawl:

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021