Forgive me for i have sinned...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, Feb 26, 2010.

1. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Combing does occur with the cab horizontal or vertical, it happens anytime two or more drivers are side by side. It's just worse the more drivers you have side by side.

But combing is not the major issue anyway. That happens at frequencies high enough to not be a concern in most cases, though this would be a worst case scenario. The major issue is the dispersion angle of the mids, which is inversely proportional to the width of the source. That means an 810 laid down has half the mids dispersion of one upright.

2. René_Julien

René_Julien Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Suppose you have two 8x10s.
    Would it be better to have them sideways but stacked on top of each other?

(The width is bigger than half the height right?)

Or two vertically standing stacked on top of each other would be interesting. :D

3. Just don't lay the girl singer on her side and go at it... :D That'll destroy your band, not just your sound...

Randy

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    You must make penance, 27 hail Jaco's please. :bag:

5. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Sorry you suffered for your sin Jimmy. Crappy onstage sound is the wages of such sin I guess. I did do a 2x15 cab like that once, and I
    swear old Beelzebub himself showed up as the house sound guy who was from Germany, loved to over mic everything, plus his school of
    mixing was from the whole Euro Techno Rave Party mix perspective, just to add to the entire miserable experience. I won't go into
    details, but I learned my lesson. I can't comment on laying an 8x10 cab on it's side, but I will trust your confession as the truth.
    Now go and sin no more.;)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    that certainly didn't help. all i could hear was a low rumble at best. but i did that same setup last year in the exact same spot with a b-15 and one cab and it was much better, so the four in a row 10"s certainly didn't help, that's for sure. that's what led me to think it was combing and creating a null right where my mic stand was. but at this point it's moot. the gig is over now and there's no do-overs, so onto the next bad room with boundary issues ;)

7. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    QUOTE: Yeah, Jeff Ament. Oh BTW Jeff also uses all his speakers... Keeps two amps in his rack as spares incase of failure and adjusts volume as needed.

I just hate that DOESN'T HOOK UP ALL THE SPEAKERS CRACK. I even did a preemptive strike and what little good it did.

Geesh...

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    SVT 810 on it's side ... aka Geezer Butler starter kit ...

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    well i'm off to today's gig, and the svt will be in its usual vertical position, as it should. and yesterday's gone and today's a new day for new problems ;)

10. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Darn it Jimmy!
    I don't log on to T.B. to keep things stirred up and you in line for a week or so and you go drifting off! :) :D

11. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Wait, your cab was in front of you on the floor? Am I reading that right? Cause in that case unless you're in the monitors you aren't going to hear much of anything other than mud :(

If someone stood on my amp.....I'd be standing on theirs. With them underneath it.

12. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses ( Now Closed) sales @ Sweetwater
    maybe it was the power cable ;)

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

You are forgiven my son! Say three Hail Marys, go forth and sin no more!

Paul

:)

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Stacked vertically is better, and you can pretend you're Phil Lesh. :hyper:

15. hey, a little off topic, but nice triple! I had a green 76 400 and currently own a blue 77 yam rd 400. both were complete tear downs and restos. smokers rule!

16. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    So, in all seriousness, would the resulting sound tend to be scooped in the mids and rolled off in the highs? Not that I'm buying an 8x10 anytime again... ever. Just wondering.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    you wouldn't call it a scoop when the highs are gone too, but yes, that's what usually happens when you have a cab aimed away from your head. not exclusive to 810's laid on the floor by any means.

it occurs that there's a little confusion about placement. ok, this was a small community hall with a tiny built in stage about 2 ft high, so the front of the stage was solid wood. my cab went directly in front of that, and i stood about a foot and a half in front of it.

anyway, tonight's gig at another place was a lot better, though the room was extremely boomy. tomorrow i have to use the b-15 because it's so tiny on the stage and we have a couple guest guitarists joining us. can't even use the upright :(

18. Grooveman1961

Grooveman1961

May 8, 2006
    You're supposed to stand an 8x10 up?

No wonder my rigs look goofy.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The greater sin was using an Ampeg cab.

20. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    LOL! Yah, I was thinking there'd be penance required.

Edit: Wow. Lots of parallel invention of that quip on this thread. :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021