Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Forgive the ignorance... Piccolo bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Subculture13, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    What specifically makes a bass a Piccolo bass? I have heard numerous references to them, but never specific enough to know the differences. What are some good brands of Piccolo bass manufacturers?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Piccolo = an octave above regular tuning
    Tenor = a quart above regular tuning

Most are shortscale but not necessarily so. You can also just restring your bass and make it a tenor or piccolo bass (I did with my old Ibanez Soundgear 1000E).

Most good luthiers should be able to make one, but Alembic is probably most notable due to Stanley Clarke.

In Europe, Bassculture's Christoph Dolf is known to make a lot of tenors and piccolos.

www.bassculture.de

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Good Question.

A piccolo bass is a bass tuned a octave higher.

I believe super light strings are used to this (50-20 or something similar).

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Got to it before me, dang it. :D

5. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    So it basically is the high strings off of an 8 string bass? To put it in laymans... Cool. I could see me modding a stock bass with a new nut to do it. I just did this with my MIM Jazz 5, moved it from B-G to E-C. Finding a set of Piccolo strings might prove tricky though. Forgive my lack of music training on this question then... I understand going an octave up, that is a no brainer, but what notes is a Tenor bass actually tuned to? I have never heard of them before.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Top four strings of a six string

ADGC

juststrings.com should have them

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS