Forgot I still had this!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Nov 17, 2015.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    image.jpeg My very first bass! A VMI Cruise short scale. Just measured the scale length and its 30".

The neck it still straight and has the OG strings (my parents bought this for me 20 years ago)

I am seriously thinking about hot rodding it with all new hardware/nut, pots, and better pickups.. Why because it's fun to play and doesn't sound bad in stock form.

Mosstone and bholder like this.
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    If the basic construction is solid, why not? Sounds like a fun project, and your timing is good. There are an ocean of high quality aftermarket parts out there, kind of a "treasure hunt" experience. I'm a cheap bastard, so anything over $20 requires exhaustive research online! Just make sure you don't put too much more than it's worth into it, a failing I have often suffered.

BassGreaser likes this.
  3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

If you are going to play it and play it and play it, who cares how much you spend on it. I got a 1985 or so Squier Bullet guitar that looks like the illegitimate child of a Tele, an ES175, a Strat, and a Les Paul. I got it as a bag of bits. It now has new frets, a new rattle can paint job that's supposed to look like sparkly, crinkly green cellophane, a pair of Alumatone pickups, a P-Rail pickup, and a whole lot of switching. The paint kinda works. Everything else works amazingly well. It sounds great, and I have a blast playing it. It is still worth about what I paid for it originally - not quite nothing, but not much more. I don't even want to know how much money I spent on it so far. It might be close to a grand, but I don't know and don't ever want to know. From an economic standpoint, it was a complete disaster. From every other standpoint, it was completely worth doing.

Mosstone likes this.
  4. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Very cool. I actually had that exact bass for a while and it was a decent playing shortie. The pickups were pretty decent, but the bridge was horrible.
    It would certainly make a great backup bass. No worries about it being stolen if isn't used and if you broke a string or had a problem with your main bass there it would be! I've been using a Jay Turser mini P-Bass in that type of role.

BassGreaser likes this.
  5. "Forgot I still had this"

What! Nobody forgets about their first!

BassGreaser likes this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    One day soon, my '76 Fender Musicmaster will be resurrected with new bridge, pickup, electronics, and much more contoured carved body.

BassGreaser likes this.
  7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    What are these bodies made out of? I'm guessing plywood due to its weight.

It's funny I've been A/B'ing it against my Warmoth P-Bass.. dig how this short scale plays and how the higher notes have a much fuller tone compared to the 34" scale length.

Might have to put an EMG or Aero P/J with CTS pots and this can be my round wound string bass.

8. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Well mine had a pretty big chunk in the body so I can confirm it was definitely plywood :)
    As I recall, it was the second lightest bass I've ever owned... not as light as my Turser mini P - which almost floats away - but pretty close. It was considerably lighter than my Ibanez Mikro. I also seem to recall that mine looked identical to yours but only had the P pickup instead of the P/J combo on yours. Had it been a P/J it might still be around.
    As for the tone... hard for me to compare to a 34" because all my basses are shorties!

BassGreaser likes this.
  9. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    keep those knobs, they look cool......

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    BassGreaser likes this.
  10. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009

+1 on that and Amen! I never understood it when I would hear people say: "I only paid $200 for the guitar, so I don't want to spend much to upgrade it.". Or, " I really can't see the point in putting $200 worth of pickups in a $300 guitar".

So, you want your guitar to sound just mediocre, because you didn't pay a lot of money for it??? I don't know how that makes sense. Because I can tell you, it really SUCKS when you spend a LOT of money on a guitar and you have to spend EVEN MORE to make it right (I'm talking to YOU, Mr. Hall).

If I get a guitar or bass that plays well, feels good, has no issues and it didn't cost a lot of money, I figure I'm already ahead of the game. And I don't care what it says on the headstock. The object is then to make the instrument sound as good as it can (meaning... Awesome!). True, upgrades do not increase resale value, but I've never thought of selling any of the guitars I've ever bought. My goal is always to turn it into a keeper. And if I do end up selling it, I'll return it to stock. No harm, no foul. Plus, I really enjoy working on guitars almost as much as I enjoy playing them.

You can save money by buying used pickups and looking around for deals on good hardware. There are also some really great pickup options available that DON'T cost an arm and a leg. The last set of pickups I bought for a HH Tele project that I'm working on I had custom made by Buddha pickups. Only cost $100 for the set (and I had an uncommon design in mind with very particular specs). I haven't heard them yet (still early on in the build) but between what I've heard in the review/demo videos I've seen, and the rave reviews I've read, I feel confident these pups will be to my liking. The point is, make the guitar what you want it to be. Otherwise, you'll never be satisfied with it and you'll always think the cure is to buy a more expensive guitar.

Sorry for the brief distraction... we now return you to the thread already in progress.

Gaolee and BassGreaser like this.
  11. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009

THat looks WAY nicer than MY first bass! :thumbsup:

BassGreaser likes this.
  12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well I'll be putting in a set of EMG P/J pickups (cream covers to match the aged white finish) as they don't need soldering.

Is this bass going to play and sound like a $2000+ bass. No, but it will be my fun little modern sounding bass.

Oh I also plan on installing Hipshot UL lollipop tuners

MakoMan likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021