Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Forgotten Bass Hero: Clint Conley (Mission of Burma)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 17, 2003.

1. I just recently picked up Mission of Burma's Vs. (anyone who likes slightly artsy rock owes it to themself to own this disc) and what really impressed me was Clint Conley's bass work. Between his tone (classic pickstyle J with roundwounds, oddly reminiscent of contemporary Geddy Lee) and his penchant for countermelody, I found myself getting pretty inspired.

I have to say, the "post-punk" movement really produced some excellent and individual bass work. Bands like Joy Division, MoB, and (to an extent) the Minutemen don't get nearly as much credit among the musician community as they ought to; maybe it's because they completely subordinated their virtuosity to the pursuit of songcraft.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Clint quit music after MoB broke up and became a TV producer :eek:

MoB did a handful of reunion shows recently though and Clint has started a new band called Consonant in which he plays guitar, not bass.

The live CD "The Horrible Truth About Burma" is one of the greatest noisefests of all time.

3. he also used a P bass-

[​IMG]

http://www.missionofburma.com/

4. i love that honky nasal sound he got on "academy fight song"

5. Mick Polaris

Mick Polaris

Jun 7, 2005
    How come there are no Mission of Burma tabs on this site? Max Ernst Rules!

6. FORGOTTEN? MoB have been back and rocking for almost 7 years now.

Glad to see some love for this guy. One of my fav bassists. The reason I play a J.

And Brian, you know MoB are back together now right? And they have another one of my favorite bassists in the band now, Mr Bob Weston.

7. hankazoid

hankazoid

Feb 27, 2009
    Cambridge, MA.
    I've just been listening to The Obliterati and his tone on "Donna Sumeria" is unbelievable... The opening notes sound like a grand piano on steroids. So awesome. His bass playing on all of Burma's stuff is great. Peter Prescott is an awesome drummer too... has the same unorthodox approach to drums that IMO comes close to Keith Moon. Just an awesome band.

[​IMG]