Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Forgotten records, great basslines (Warning: 80's content)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Now that services like iTunes let you buy one song at a time, compiling a list of good tracks from forgettable (or forgotten) albums seems like a good idea.

First off:

[​IMG]
    Bonnie Tyler's Faster than the Speed of Night(1983)

Interesting cast of players: Max Weinberg on drums, Rick Derringer on guitar and a bass player called Larry Fast handle most of the work (including the classic Total Eclipse of the Heart) except the track that follows it on the CD, called It's a jungle out there with Hiram Bullock on guitar, Paul Shaeffer on Keys, Steve Jordan on drums and Will Lee on Bass. The production values are audibly higher on this track and the bass line is a smokin' shuffle with almost like reggae like in its inflections. It's a classic example of playing the spaces and just a great feat of musicianship.

[​IMG]

People who are curious about fretless slap bass should check out Dream Academy's debut (1985). Their biggest hit Life in a Northern Town is the opening track and most bass duties are handled by Guy Pratt, who did some work with Pink Floyd. Small wonder he's on, since the album was produced by David Gilmour. Anyway, the track Bound to Be features a still relatively unknown guy called Pino Palladino and the groove and slap are very cool and obviously played on a fretless. The bassline makes the track. Peter Buck makes a cameo on this album too.

Those are my two. Others? By the way, they can be from other decades too. :hyper:

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

Pino Palladino also appeared on both of David Gilmour's solo albums which were recorded prior to this, at least if you go by release date, and I think he played on Kate Bush's 1st or 2nd album produced by Gilmour, too. I could be wrong about the last part.

My only contribution would be, check out Duran Duran's bass player if you haven't yet. John Taylor is an amazing player, very creative, and a perfect example of why we didn't all trade in our axes for synths in the late '80s. The band's new material is fantastic, too, IME.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

...and unfortunately I don't have any info on the original album. This is a song which was a big radio hit ca. 1976 here and became a mandatory song for dancing shows by students in almost every high school. It's called "Chinese Kung Fu" from a band called Banzaii (Composed by Subway. Produced by S.A. Creations Artistiques). I was a little kid and my parents never gave me the LP, but I have it in this compilation CD. I thought it would become a classic, but it's an obscure song now. I saw that a band called Katmandu did a really cheesy version of the tune years later. I'm posting a link for downloading it because again, I'm pretty sure that just a few of you (in the best case) remember this track. Nothing special with the bassline (although it's a key component of the song), but I enjoy that good old and dirty Precision bass sound. I'd like to hear from someone who remembers this! :hyper:

Link:

http://s33.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3TNLLPPHUJWQD0PJMB8H7B4HZX

4. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Check out Nick Beggs' playing on Kajagoogoo's "Ooh to be ah" and the hit single "Too Shy" he was insane.

Or the bassplayer who played that Fretless gallopping line on Wham's "Wham rap"

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    any of the Peter Gabriel / Tony Levin tracks of the 80s....

Jimmy Page's "The Firm" with Paul Rodgers singing, Chris Slade on drums and Mr. Tony Franklin on fretless bass.

Watt and Hurley got it back together after D.Boon was stolen from us in the 80s with Ed from Ohio and the debute from fIREHOSE ... check out "Ragin Full-On"

How about "Animal Logic".... (I think that was 80s)... Stewart Copeland and Stanley Clarke do pop.