Form Over Function or...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Jun 9, 2004.

1. I was doing dishes in the kitchen last night and it's dark over the sink. My girlfriend often complains that it's dark over the sink. There's a light fixture in the center of the kitchen, and a light on the range hood. Above the sink there's a shelf thingy where my girlfriend keeps her "pretty dishes" and stuff like that. Behind the dishes is (what I believe to be) a string of Christmas tree lights, making a soft backlighting for the "pretty dishes." To plug in the backlighting, she had to unplug a flourescent tube lamp mounted above the sink, she also cut the cable on said flourscent tube lamp. So, for the sake of making her pretty dishes look prettier (and you probably wouldn't notice unless all the lights were off or were looking directly at them), she sacrificed decent lighting over the sink. She's willing to complain about the lack of light, and hardly ever turn on the "pretty lights."

If you had a choice between something that worked well, but didn't look as "cool" or something that didn't work well (or inefficiently), but looked cool, what would you choose?
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Just wire that bad boy back up and plug em both it.
  3. ah, the age old battle of form vs function. sometimes i think about it when people post pics of a new custom bass.
    around my apartment, it's not much of a problem. we don't have enough space for things that aren't functional. and besides, if you buy high quality goods, they usually have both form and function. ever wonder why someone will pay $200 for a shirt? cause it's gonna last for freaking ever.
    if this was a poll, i'd vote "both"
  4. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I almost always choose function over form. But I grew up kinda poor, so I think at this point I'm just happy to get anything that works.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    In the case of footwear girls seem to chose form over function way too much.

Then they whine about it.

6. Good ol' 'show vs go' debate. My personal opinion is that sometimes when we look at choosing something that is "flashy" or "for show", we are indeed meeting the functional criteria by doing so. For example, using Gia's example, when choosing a shirt that looks good, aren't you buying a shirt for the function of looking good/trendy? Therefore, you could say that the shirt's function is not to keep you covered up, as clothing is generally used for, but is to look fashionable. Thus meeting function as the primary criterion.

7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    true. very true.
  8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im not complaining but I figured while we were on the topic of women's clothing I should state that these days covering ones body is rarely the function of clothes.
  9. We were also talking about this (sort of) with the new GTO. It's supposed to be the most powerful GTO made (5.7L- 350HP), but it looks like a frickin' Neon. Regardless of how fast that thing goes, you only would go fast once in a while (if one were to ever disobey the speed limit...), the rest of the time it should just look badazz, much like her 98 Trans Am... Yes, the Goat would probably smoke her TA, but it would still look like a Neon when you're not going 160 mph.

Speaking of the Trans Am... A mother of 2 children... one actively involved in sports... TransSport or Trans Am... The Trans Am sure as hell does look cooler, nowhere near as functional though...

(I tell her every day I'm only with her for her car :p )

I'm much more into function over form.
  10. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003

Screw being able to see things. Pretty Lights!
  11. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    It all boils down to whether you're a classical or romantic person.

Me? I'd go with function... :cool:
  12. Formish Function. I'm not gonna drive/ride anything with huge rust holes, but I'll put up with some dings if it works great. I'm always buying used.
  13. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    When did Gia change her name to 3 crotch grabs? Also, you're just saying that because you're a girl. :spit:

(Function all the way!!)
  14. Gia deleted her post, and I'm a guy. :mad:

15. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Oops, I apologize. I figured "Leigh" was a girl.

Hehe, sorry man.
  16. The only male Leigh I can think of is Leigh Stephens, the former guitarist for Blue Cheer.

The only female Leigh I can think of is Jennifer Jason Leigh.
  17. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I tend to go for a mix of both. For example I have a turbo PT Cruiser. It's got show and go (although the looks aren't for everyone, to me, it's the Matchbox that got away when I was a kid :) ).

Another example, I have an Apple PowerBook G4. Not the most powerful laptop, but definitely one of the cooler looking ones + it has long battery life, GarageBand, iMovie, iDVD, Final Cut Express and can burn DVDs. So it's got the form and for my uses the function I need.
  18. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Im with you here. However, it is rear wheel drive thank god. For that reasons, I'm keeping my complaints down to a minimum.

I love that LS1 engine. Its really an engineering masterpiece.

Does anyone know if this detuned LS6 engine in the Neon looking GTO has more torque than the GTO Judge? I wouldnt think so. Torque is king baby.