1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Formal Apology to all SVT Users - past, present, and future

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim C, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I would like to publicly appologize to all SVT users.

Recently lost my mind (posibly due to strong ultraviolet hallucinogenic rays) and became some what friendly with an older Trace Elliot. While this amp is very clear and powerful with an authoritative, robust, muscular tone, it "don't got that funkin mojo" that gives me wood. In fact, I stopped using an SWR SM-400 15 years ago and went back to carrying the beast from New Jersey for this very same reason.

Brought gear home from a gig, and for whatever reason, hooked up the normal rig to the Ampeg selector switch (clearly the bass gods were smiling down at me).

My, oh my; at 51, lugging that much steel, wood, and glass could injure my currently strong back, but perhaps that will be my cross to bear.

Aside from the growl, and the lovely inherent tone, the touch sensitivity of flat wounds is much different and better for me. Even though the SVT will distort at high volumes through a 1x15 (and the Trace does not) it just seems like the right amp to use.

Makes sense though; if the thing wasn't magical, why would anyone lug around an 80 lb., 40 year old design, that occasionaly requires expensive replacement parts?

2. Only one thing to say to that really.

Your's only weighs 80lbs?!?

:bag:

Welcome back brother :)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No need to apologize. It's something I struggled with for years, too. But I came to the same conclusion last year. No matter how heavy they are, tube amps are so worth the weight. Moving them only takes a few minutes, but you have to listen to your amp on a gig for hours. Love my LMII and VT pedal, but the LMII is a backup now and the VT is an overdrive pedal now because they just don't quite get the job done.

Since you're using a 115, you might want to look into an orphaned B-15 head as well. Or even a full-on B-15. As long as you're not playing balls out, you'd be surprised how well a 25w amp can kick it out. They're only about 25 lbs.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    You are forgiven.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    heck, i'm 55, and playing thru an svt has always been like wearing a perfectly broken in pair of sneakers, or playing baseball with my favorite mit. for me there has never been a substitute for one, and i agree with Jimmy. once you get over the initial 10 minute load-in schlep, the hours that you spend playing thru it on stage more than makes up for its weight. its so nice to not have to worry about having great tone and punch. with almost every other amp, i'm constantly trying to perfect my tone, adjusting the eq, but not so with my SVT's. its just set, forget, and concentrate on playing bass.

6. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    Best Amp I ever owned. I just got to old and it got to heavy to move.

7. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    That was my first thought as well... I had a sudden tinge of jealously thinking about getting to carry 10-15 LESS lbs.
    :D

But yeah, they do cut through with a sweet tone that the SS stuff just does not have. Ears don't lie.

8. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
  9. I thought by the way you were talking in your original post you had an older SVT, which I think were heavier. But that'd be right for a CL.

You werent meant to take my comment seriously! :p

10. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
  11. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Apology accepted. 20-space, shock mounted, rolling anvil type case and many friends around for the LIFT makes the spine happy.

12. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Hey man, it's natural to get a little curious at times, just don't tell your wife.

13. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    So doctor,
    Are you saying that any bass player indiscretion towards a SS amp, is merely a man looking for some strange?