Former Dingwall owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Feb 20, 2004.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As a lot of you know, I am strongly considering a Dingwall ABII as my next bass.

So, people who have owned Dingwall, but sold or traded out of it, why? Why did you get rid of your Dingwall?

Thanks for your help!
  2. Hi Jeff:
    still deciding on the ABII.
    Well I have sold my first fretted Dingwall Aburner I. Two main reasons. 1) I needed cash to pay for my new Dingwall (I have a one off custom on its way) and 2) its was Bart p'up equipped and once you've played a Dingwall w/ FD-1 pickups the Barts didn't hold a candle tonewise (my opinion only).
    I know Funky has sold one and i believe Bgotah is still selling his (or has sold it).
    Good luck w/ your decision
  3. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Hey Frank, why didn't your install the new pickups you had for it? Did you keep them for a future project?
  4. Funny story about this--when I put my Afterburner up for sale, I got an email from Sheldon asking what I thought could be improved. That gesture really affected me, knowing that the builder of the bass cared so much about making the best possible product.

So anyway, my reason for selling was simple economics. As you know, I go through a lot of basses, and when one comes in, usually one has to go. At the time, I hadn't had my Dingwall long enough to develop a really strong emotional attachment to it, so that was next in line. I actually really dug the bass. So there wasn't anything I really thought was wrong with it--it was just easiest to sell. The one that bdgotoh has up right now (at an incredible price) is the one that I had. The bluest bass I've ever had.
  5. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I sold my 4 string Z2 a while ago mostly because I didn't like the way it balanced for me. I also felt that a couple of my other Basses performed better for me. I really hate walking into HEL music in Saskatoon and seeing all of the gorgeous dingwalls on the wall. Everytime I see one I wish I had kept mine. Once I jump on the five string wagon there will be a Prima in my hands in minutes.
  6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Geoff St Germain came by last night with his amazing Dingwall- it is verey likely the finest bass I have ever seen. Absolutely immaculate!! and it sounded huge...the fanned frets , as everyone has heard, only takes a few minutes to get used to..and the neck was butter! only thing i found strange was the lack of a pickup blend pot- but i think one can be had.. the bass was an absolute knockout! I say go for it, Jeff!!
  7. Get the one from the BassNW web site. It looks alot like Geoff's, but it's a 5 string. List is only $7000!
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

You know how it is. When you are considering spending almost $2K for a bass that you have never played or seen, you want some reassurance.
  9. Jeff:
    I do know how it is, as I did the same thing your doing except 2 years earlier.
    I will say thou, this may be a problem (in a good sense). I've found now that I'm playing Dingwall's for the past few years that I have not found any other bass (regardless of price -still haven't played a bongo thou :)) that has made me want to put down my Dingwall.
    For me, once you've felt even string tension, and heard each & every note on your fretboard sound clear and articulate (including the B string), you really can't go back to less.
    I know there are a number of other great basses and bass luthiers out there who make equally good basses, I just haven't found one.
    I'm at the point where I've been asking Sheldon to slowly replace my other basses w/ Dingwalls that have a similar vibe. 4 string fender J-bass soon to be replaced by a Dingwall Super J, 5 string replaced by a Prima, etc. Guess i have a problem :help:

I don't think you can go wrong w/ the ABII.
    (by the way website has an amazing 2 tone Prima)
  10. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i was about to buy a dingwall, then iw ent for a kubicki instead. just my personal prefences. but the dingwalls are real ncie basses have a great low end and mid range, i was going to buy a z1 5 string with fd-3 pickups, but as i said i chose the kubickis.

again great basses congrats :hyper:
  11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    What's a Dingwall Super J?
  12. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Awright, you Dingwall guys...

I have to say that the Dingwall ABII four-string is very attractive to me. But I currently have a really good P-bass (possibly even outstanding) that I would have to sell to think about a Dingwall. So I'm wondering how close to a P-bass vibe you can get from the ABII. If I could get my beloved P-bass sound, but with added clarity on the E (P's can be a tad mushy down low), I would be in heaven (well, figuratively, hoping not to go just yet).

What do you think?
  13. well i will only speak for myself here....
    You can get a decent tone copies of a P bass or a j bass out of using either parallel or series of the FD-1 pickups (Dingwall doesn't use pickup blend rotarys) or FD3's, but the reality is thse basses sound totally different than your beloved P bass. The P bass fender tone is a very sharp transient w/ a quick decay that lends to that warm thumpy tone. IME Dingwalls have tremedous sustain and clear articulation of notes, and are growley w/ full mids. So I find that its can cop a decent P bass tone, but its not like the jamerson P tone, but it might b exactly what your looking for sound wise.
    Now I know for a fact that Sheldon has been making his new FD's p'ups w/ a J like tone in mind and he has referred in the past to using a early J bass as a tone reference to create these p'ups. So maybe you can get a great fender like vibe from these instrument. I'm certainly hoping
  14. FCM3:

Actually, the Dinger on our site is a Z1, not a Prima. The Prima is the top-of-the-line, no-holds-barred, super-exotic, cost-is-no-object monster bass.......e.g. the Prima at Bass NW ----- OMG !!!!!!!!
    The major difference between the Z and the Afterburner series is in the active electronics. The AB is passive only.

15. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Just talked to Gard on the phone. A plain 'ol Afterburner is considerably less money than I thought. What to do, what to do...
  16. When I ordered my Prima, the base price for the Prima and Z series basses was the same (perhaps it has changed). Adding a figured wood would add more to the Prima since it has a matching top and back whereas the Z series has only a figured top.

I am currently in the process of ordering a new Dingwall myself. Should be interesting.

17. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Geoff, that Prima is an absolute work of art. Any mp3's?
  18. Randy:
    Thank for the clarification. I looked at the bass in question and since it had the "NEW" prima shape i assumed it was a Prima and not a Z1, as you know Sheldon has discontinued that old body style w/ the Cello hip. So it threw me off....I guess.
    Also if I'm not mistaken Dingwall ABII have active 2 band Aggie electronics. I've also seen two people w/ AB's who had custom active electronics installed. One person had his ABI on EBAY that had an active Demter pre in it and another recently that had a Aggie 2 band, not sure i either ws installed at Sheldon's place.

Geoff- another Dingwall? prey tell....

I'm still waiting for #3...tick, tick

Plain Ole Afterburners aren't that expensive...and you really get a ton of features and that killer Dingwall tone for considerably less money (less than 1/2 in some cases) than one of Sheldon high end basses. Well worth it.
  19. Well, there isn't too much set yet. I quite miss the Z2 I had so it will be a Z2 6 String with a maple fretboard. I am looking to go in more of a Jazz bass direction than my Prima is and I want to be able to get a mean slap and percussive finger tone out of the bass. As for options, top wood, etc... I don't know yet. Maybe not as crazy as the last Dingwall went, but I am looking for something unique.

20. I don't have any. I really have to make some. I'll see what I can do.