Former Elvis guitarist is now in my band <?>

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 7, 2002.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well tonight I played my usual Sunday night thing with the alt-rock Christian worship band that I'm in. We've kinda been lookin' for a new guitarist lately and so I start setting up and there's this older guy (early 50's) pulling out a guitar and we say "Hi." I found out that he's going to be playing with us and so we start up our practice and he's tearing it up. Really great guitarist..really tasteful and coming up with some great stuff...especially considering this is the first time he's ever played with us. So then we're soundchecking and me and the drummer start a jam with him and he's really just phenomenal, far surpassing the best I've ever played with.

Afterwards we walk out and I'm asking the drummer about him and he's like "I know!! That guy's amazing!" So finally I get to talk to our singer/leader privately and he tells me that this guy was Elvis' guitar player during Elvis' last two years or so and that he's also toured and recorded with a bunch of famous people. He was a pro guitarist (I think mainly in Nashville) for 30 years. So I think this guy is going to be playing with us regularly now. I'm kinda unclear on that. I know he's gonna be at practice tomorrow night. His name's John but I didn't get his last name. It's pretty amazing how good his playing sounded considering our style of music isn't country, blues or Elvis. He sounded very up-to-date even though he hasn't been pro for a while. I'm the oldest one in the group at 26 so this really isn't an old-fogey type group but he really fit in musically despite being in his 50's.

Also, he brought his '68 Gibson Gold-top that he used when he played with Elvis. That was pretty sweet. Just thought I'd share an interesting playing story with you.

brad cook
  2. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    cool. it's always fun when you can play with pros.
    well, not always... you know what I mean..

I walked my dog earlier and found out that the this guy that lives behind me played the saxophone for jimmie davis on the original recording of you are my sunshine... he's in his eighties and wants my dad to play with his band... i thought that was kinda cool
  3. John Wilkinson was Elvis' guitarist in his last few years. Is this the guy? He has been in Nashville for the past few years. If it is you are very lucky, what I wouldnt give to jam with Elvis' guitarist!
    John is in the Blue Elvis type suit.
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    What years did james burton play with elvis?
  5. martinc

martinc Supporting Member

Re: James Burton......

As I understand it, Elvis called James Burton in 1968 to put a band together when he started to play in Las Vegas. I think James Burton stayed with Elvis until his death.

Martin C
    (strayed in here by accident from the double bass forum)
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I performed with DBX (GWAR).

7. James Burton was in Elvis' legendary TCB (Taking Care of Business) Band along side bassist Jerry Scheff from 1969 to 1977.

In this picture of the TCB, Burton has the moustache, Scheff is wearing glasses.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Cool! A buddy of mine mixed a couple songs on the new E1VIS CD. So we could start a "six degrees" thread about Elvis now....