1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FORMER Guitar Center loyalist...final straw (UPDATE - THEY MADE IT RIGHT!)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Plucky The Bassist, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX

Old story is up there in case you want to read what happened. However, I got a call from Dano there, he asked me about what happened and what he could do to make it right for me. I walked in there with my amp a couple days after speaking with (I went in today) and he gave me a very fair offer on the head and of course the 10% discount on the near gear.

He was cool about everything and worked to make sure I got what I needed. Gave me a sweet deal on a Squier VM Jazz I wanted to use for parts, it was better than what I intended to go out with (wanted to get an Affinity), this one was brown sunburst and tort so it's pretty sweet!! I ended up getting that along with some Pure Vintage '64 pickups and the Crown XLS 1000 as well. They got me back, definitely happy to do business again with them. All of that and it's 18 months no interest financing!! :)

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Don't know where you got the 60% figure from - I've always heard 50%. And you're a bit confused, MF and GC are the same company. Oh, and neither is long for this world anyways. And ... why not just sell your amp here?

3. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    From talking with guys at another one in the past, that and two people I worked with at Best Buy's MI department used to be managers at Guitar Center, they will do 50% if you want cash/check, and 60% if you are looking to do trade. While Musicians Friend is the same company essentially, I'm more or less frustrated with the store and other things (MF doesn't charge tax, shipping is usually free too).

I am currently trying to sell it on here, I was going to come out the same selling in on here as I would if I got the $420 at GC and the 10% new gear discount on all of what I wanted to buy there. If anyone is interested, please do get in touch with me.

4. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    It's a bummer to hear that. I worked at the Spokane, WA store many moons ago and everybody I worked with, management included, would have never disrespected you like that even if you were being a huge jerk. We had our fair share of jerky customers but we would have gotten in big trouble if we ever said anything more "sorry we won't accept that deal". Considering how many horror stories about GC that are out there my store must have been a rare exception.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  5. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I totally agree, I ran into the same thing at Best Buy. We had a floor manager for Home Audio that did the following:

Me: Hey [co-worker name], I've got a customer I just got hooked up with a PC. He wants to look at some home audio stuff, would like to check out the wireless speakers.
    Co-Worker: Yeeaaah no, they don't exist
    Customer: I was reading [magazine name] a month ago, I saw a pair advertised in there. I just wanted to see if you had any to look at.
    Co-Worker: Yeah and I wished it was like the Jetsons, where I could push a button and have food pop out, they don't exist.
    Customer: Ok, thanks...

I apologized PROFUSELY afterwards, to which the customer asked "That guy's a manager? I'm sorry if you're under him." The customer bought the PC from me, but he wouldn't spend any in Home Audio, understandably so. I realize things can vary from store to store, it's reassuring to hear from someone who took some pride in their job and doing well with customers. Honestly I could acquire gear many other places, but I hear there are problems with GC's revenue these days so I try and help since they are a big chain with lots of selection. This situation just made me question why I should bother anymore.

I'm not looking for handouts, I don't want a face apology from Darien, and I do not want someone to lose their job. I just don't want this to go unreported and hurt the store or company in general. I have to say either corporate customer services is really attentive or they checked my sales history and don't want to lose my business (I buy a LOT there). I wouldn't turn down some generosity, but it might take a bit to make me reconsider shopping there exclusively again.

6. Austin_GC

Austin_GC

Apr 29, 2015
    I work for Guitar Center
    Hey Vanilla Thundah,

I'm a representitive for Guitar Center online, I'm sorry for the frustrating experience you recently had with the Guitar Center in Houston. I'll gladly share your comments with the management chain in charge of the store including the Store Manager, District Manager, Regional VP, VP of Sales and EVP of Stores. I assure you, we take your feedback seriously, and will do our best to work with you to show you that we're better than what you have experienced.

Please send me an email at yourvoice@guitarcenter.com with your contact information, and I'll make sure this if forwarded to the right management team.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and giving us a chance to turn this around. Again, on behalf of Guitar Center, I'm sorry for the frustration you've experienced. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you in the meantime and we'll be more than happy to help however we can.

Sincerely,

-Austin

7. Plucky The Bassist

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Updated my original post to show how they made everything right. Give Dano some props, he totally took care of me!! :)