Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

former guitarists

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ulyanov, Dec 24, 2000.

1. I started playing bass about a year and a half ago, but before that I played guitar for 7 years. I got a bass as a way to start a band with my friends, thinking it was close enough, I could learn. Of course I did learn, but I found out how different it was, and it became my main instrument, I got into bass way more than I ever did with guitar, possibly because of this site. And we never made the band, but oh well. I'm just wondering how many other bassists out there used to play guitar too?

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I started playing classical guitar 12 years old, electric when I was 13, and bass 14..I stopped playing electric when I got my bass but I still play the classical

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

About three years after I started playing bass, I decided to try to learn electric guitar, too. I gave up after about three months because I just didn't like the way my fingers felt with those narrow strings that seemed to cut into my fingertips. I keep promising myself I WILL go back to it one day, though, especially to learn slide guitar for blues on one of those steel resonator guitars. Yup...one of these days. (Sigh.)

Jason Oldsted

4. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I got a classical guitar when I was 13,followed by an electric about 8 months later,and I got my 1st bass about 6 months after that! I still play all three,although I've shifted to steel string acoustic now.I also took a couple of years of piano lessons,spent about 2 years learning MIDI,and since space and decibels don't permit,I have a few drum machines that I can program pretty well to sound like a real kit.I have MMP (Multiple Musical Personality Disorder),and we are very happy!