1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Former heavyweight champion Tommy Morrison wins in unsanctioned "MMA" match

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Tommy Morrison, former heavyweight champ, recently entered into a unsanctioned fight with Jon Stover, a mixed martial artist, that ended with a 1st round KO in a supposed "mixed martial arts" setting.

However, the ruleset did not allow for grappling or groundfighting of any kind, and almost immediately before the fight began it was also announced that kicks as well as strikes with the knees and elbows were disallowed as well.

As well, Stover outweighed his opponent by more than 100 pounds of, let's be diplomatic here, not exactly muscle.

Morrison was originally forced to retire from his boxing career due to an HIV test with a positive result. Claiming it was a false test and that he has been tested many times over the last 11 years all resulting in negative results, Morrison has been trying desperately for a comeback. Much more alarming is that because it was an unsanctioned event being fought in a native-American area, Morrison did not have to have a pre-fight physical or do any blood tests. What's more, his former agent revealed that Morrison had tested positive earlier this year.

Articles:
    Former heavyweight champ prepares for MMA debut
    Morrison wins modified rules debut
    Tommy Morrison wins but don't call it mixed martial arts

Stover's fight record
    Tommy Morrison's boxing record

Picture of Stover (he's on the right):
    [​IMG]

2. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    I read about that, and I didn't see anywhere that Morrison's former agent produced any proof other than his own word that Morrison had tested positive.

So it's worth about what a fake lawyer's word is generally worth.

Big of Morrison to not fight MMA in a MMA match. I wonder how the fight would have ended up if he actually had to grapple, or defend his legs.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Given that Morrison arranged for the fight to be in a native-American area where medical inspections were not mandatory, and he has never been tested by a state athletic commission, and his "negative" tests were all done by his family doctor, I'd take his former agent's word as more than a "fake lawyer"'s.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021