1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Former Lurker, Now a Poster!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by DerekG, Mar 10, 2006.

1. DerekG

DerekG Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    After lurking for about a half a year, I'm now a fully fledged TBer! I've been playing bass since....ahem...1969, but i still rock with the best of them! I've played everything from pop to rock to traditional jazz, fusion jazz, funk, folk, blues, hip-hip, in church groups and even for a few broadway musicals. No metal or rap, though.

I started on guitar at 8 years old and added the bass at 10 1/2 and have played continuously since then - semi-pro but never professionally. I still play some acoustic guitar but since everyone "always needs a bass player," I've played bass in all the many bands I've played with over the years and I love it. With the bass, you get to play both melodically and rythmically at the same time, and that's a unique position in most groups!

My newest bass is a fantastic Roscoe LG-3005 Fretless with a gorgeous redwood burl top, mahogany body, unlined black ebony board, wedge neck, and a Demeter preamp (thank you, Gard and Keith!). Smooth, sweet yet fat sound. My fretted bass is a 1992 Tobias Classic 5 in Zebra/Wenge/Alder that I bought new - another fantastic bass. My closet includes a Rick 4001 i got in high school and Fender fretless P-bass.

My current rig is a SWR SM-400 with 2 Aggie GS112s which replaced a Goliath II -- quite an improvement in tone and the Goliath was pretty darn good. Now i'm looking for a good small combo to replace a Workingman's 12 that just didn't cut for the Roscoe. Maybe a Phil Jones Briefcase or new Suitcase??

Lookin' forward to sharing bass stories and reviews with all of you!

-Derek