Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Former RBI users: Why did you change preamps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, Mar 4, 2003.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Former RBI users, I was wondering what reasons you might have had for switching from a SansAmp RBI to whatever you are now using.

At the moment, I have financial constraints which make the RBI my favorite option for a preamp (2nd choice would probably be a 2nd hand Alembic F-1X: one great tone over flexibility?).

Here is my current consideration/wish list (most of which I cannot afford, at the moment):
    * Tech 21 SansAmp RBI - [best bang for the buck?]: $300
    * BBE BMAX: $399.00
    * Alembic F-1X: $600
    * BBE BMAX-t: $699.00
    * Raven Labs USIP: $700
    * Kern IP-777XL: $700?
    * Aguilar DB 680: $1600
    * Avalon VT-737SP: $1750?
    * Glockenklang Bass Art: $2000?+?

Please give me as much feedback as you can spare along with the preamps you've used since the RBI.

THANKS!

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    What's interesting is that I almost never see them for sale used....

....maybe RBI users never switch to anything else?

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You sellin' that RBI? I gotta say that my SABDDI sounded like DA BOMB when used with my new Bergie 6x10 cab.

4. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi.
    I also would like to know the response to this one!!

Best Regards!

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't know of any former RBI users! :D

6. Ive only seen 2 RBI's used. one seller specified that he was getting the PSA-1.

7. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I'm about to be a former RBI user. The only reason is because I just bought a Glockenklang Heart Core head. I doubt i'll use the RBI after this. It is a kickass preamp though. Very versatile and great tone. By far the best bang for the buck that I have found.

8. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    Anyone?

(Waiting) :meh:

(Waiting) :meh:

Come on!!

I'd love to hear some kind of reason to get rid of this gas that I have. It's starting to hurt in my lower regions. :eek:

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you plan on selling it, how much?

[You can email me if you want (john_dalton_harris@yahoo.com)].

10. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Spoken for already. Sorry. :D

I am, however, going to be selling an SWR Silverado Special in a week or 2.

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Shucks!

Nice combo, but I am trying to keep things lighter/easier on my back (!(++#)).

12. RBI owners must really hate those things.

Aloha,

Jonathan

13. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

OK, I'll fess up. I bought one of those two used ones and then sold it a few weeks later.

But only because I wasn't able to put together a rack/cabs rig at this time. If I get the chance (read money) to put one together the RBI is at the top of my list of preamps to get again. The sound was good, the multiple outputs with separate volumes was ideal for my situation (I could separately control signal level to the PA and to my rig) and the series/parallel effects loop showed me that I really need that capability with my cheap-o Zoom BFX-708.

So sorry, not much help with the GAS here. I want another when I put together the funds.

Even if I don't have the rest of the rack rig yet.

14. Hi, former RBI user here. :D

I think its a great bass preamp. It has all the bells and whistles like the more expensive ones. Quiet too.

Unfortunately I really liked the tone of my old svt3 pro, so now I replaced it with an ampeg svp pro preamp. IMHO, there is no substitute for tubes.

I did not like the frequency of the bass control knob on RBI. I think its set at 80hz. To me, the bass is too boomy or not enough low end. I like the ampeg bass tone control (40 or 50hz) alot more and the more natural tube sound. I used a Boss equalizer to add in more low end and cut some of that 80hz boom. It sounded alot better and warmer to me. Anyway I saw a used svp on ebay for 250 and the rest is history. I sent the RBI back for a full refund. It had been less than 30 days.

15. i bought an Ampeg SVP PRo to replace the RBI, but i ended up keeping the RBI anyways as a backup pre. Just in case you know.

16. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I might be an ex-rbi user soon for pretty much the same reasons, (frequencies).. I'm also curious about the tone of the svt-II or svp-pro preamp(s).. I really wanna buy one (ampeg preamp) but i'm fundless and I don't wanna sell my rbi incase of disappointment of the ampeg.. I'm contemplating adding a parametric EQ to the rbi.. maybe an Art tube parametric EQ.. I dunno though.. I'm frustrated so I probably wont do anything until I can afford to lose some money..

(any suggestions would be great)

Travis

17. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I am a confessed preamp junkie. I've owned a lot of them and presently have:

2 Demeter VTBP-201DBL's
    Ampeg SVP PRO
    Ampeg SVT IIP
    Aguilar DB659
    RBI

The RBI is in good company and is not going anywhere! It is the best sounding SS preamp I've tried and sounds better than some tube preamps.

I've also owned:

Alembic F-1X
    Alembic F-2B
    Trace Elliot V-type
    Yamaha BP-1
    SWR Grand Prix

I doubt that you'll see many RBI's on the used market. They sound great and are cheap to buy.

Chuck

18. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi.
    I just would like to ask you if you can caracterize the RBI sound!!
    Is it very hard and rocky? Is it more at the fat and warm side (jazz kind of sound)? Can you get all this sounds?

Thank you all.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'd like to know this too.

In particular: I own a SABDDI which I like very much, but because of the midrange dip I don't always use it (depends on the bass). I'm wondering if the mid control on the RBI restores what's missing (more or less).

20. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    well, I traded my SABDDI for the RBI for that exact reason - mid range dip (or it dips when the treb and bass is boosted beyond 12:00).. at first I was happy with the mid range from the RBI but now I'm not liking it much.. Iv'e been using my Boss GEB-7 Bass EQ with the RBI (in the effects loop) for the last few days and I like it better.. I seem to be able to boost the bass and mid frequencies with the GEB-7 that I cant get with the RBI or with my bass (stingray)..
    I'm really wanting to try a SVT-IIP or SVP-Pro.. the mid range frequency selector has me GAS'n..

wish I still had my job!! (argh)