1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Formerly Popular Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jdwhitak, Nov 1, 2013.

1. jdwhitak

jdwhitak

Mar 20, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    I was wondering what pedals used to be all the rage on here, but are not talked about anymore. Also, when do you think Darkglass will fall out of favor?

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Haven't seen much about the VT Bass in awhile. For a few months those were all anyone could talk about.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    As far as Dark Glass never

4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    It's hard to say "never" but it wasn't just hype, it was the real deal.

5. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Just because a particular pedal or brand doesn’t receive a lot of forum posts, doesn’t mean that they are fading away or falling out of favor. Only a very small percentage of people buying pedals and gear will post about it in a forum.

It looks like the companies that spark a lot of forum activity are the ones that continue to produce new products. Darkglass and 3Leaf have been cycling in new stuff at a steady pace, so there will be a lot of forum activity. But, even if they did not make new designs and the forum activity decreased, doesn’t mean that they aren’t busy filling orders. For some builders their work load may even be increasing while the forum activity decreases. Does that mean that they are no longer popular? I don’t think so.

IMO…The companies that have truly fallen out of favor are the ones that have been terrible to their customers with service, awful designs or slimy business practices.

-Frank

6. Backstreet Boys may have outsold the Beatles for awhile, who will be remembered in a hundred years?

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

15 years ago, the TC SCF was the answer to any chorus related question. IMHO, it should still be because it's awesome.
    The Prescription Depth Charge was the bass fuzz everybody wanted.

8. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

Love this ^^

When I started hanging around here, it was all about the VT Bass. Now, we don't talk about it as much, but it's still alive and being kicked on. There also was a lot of talk about the EHX BBM.

:)

9. Musicians are a fickle bunch with a short attention span. Don't believe me? I have a multi billion dollar industry as proof. What you got?

I remember the 90's when nearly every serious player used SWR. Now they don't exist. Every company has their hey day and then settles or dies. Eventually even Darkglass will become "old and tired" and something new will come along to topple them. Will they disappear or have a long life only time will tell.

10. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    VT Bass may be talked out, but I'd wager it's not played out just yet.

11. SG-Jazz

SG-Jazz

Dec 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I would have to say the woolymammoth

12. JCooper

JCooper ...meep. Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Vermont
    VT has outlasted MANY

13. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Eb vol pedal

14. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    The classifieds section here agrees. V1 VT Bass pedals still retain a good cash value and still sell quickly.

15. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The Fulltone Bass Drive MOSFET instantly comes to mind.

16. The Bogdan Polish Love was pretty hot many years ago

17. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    This, totally.

And on that note, an answer to the OP's question is anything by Electronix (Zeibek). They were very popular effects, and for good reason. But then the owner fell off the map and simply stopped producing. So they fell out of favor, quickly.

18. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

Dec 17, 2008
    Not a lot of Source Audio talk lately.

19. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
  20. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I gladly would remember the Beatles over the backstreet boys anyday. the Beatles made real music compare to the backstreet boys because they Beatles are real musicians and the Backstreet boys has crap written by mediocre song writers. not too mention that the backstreet boys sucked. they're a sick joke. total embarrassment to the music industry. I know these groups were made so that the music industry would make money(they oftenly wanted commercial acts to make money), but those boy bands are just terrible. I don't know whose worse. boy bands or emo bands. my point is music from the past has much better innovation and creativity compared to the music of today. but great music can still be found today. check out local bands and unsigned bands on the internet. they're the ones making better music than what's being played on the radio today.