1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Formerly retired, now back in business(with quite the hurdle)

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Salem6127, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Salem6127

Salem6127

Jan 7, 2021
    Japan
    Hey everyone! I first picked up bass in 2010 to join my friends band, fell in love with so many things about the bass guitar!

My first bass was actually a 5-string (Ibanez gio) and in my last year of highschool(2012) I upgraded to a 70s Fender Jazz(MIM).

In 2015 I ran into money troubles, so I regrettably sold both basses and was instrument-less for 3 years. Fast-forward to 2020, I got bored being in quarantine and decided to get back into bass, I was so excited to start playing again!

...But one big problem arose: Last July I ran into some carpal tunnel issues before I had a chance to buy my new bass. I'm unsure what caused it, but I was in severe pain for a while. In November, the pain eased up enough that I decided to just get a bass and try.

I picked up my new bass and was surprised at how quickly I relearned it... But my carpal tunnel persisted. It's an uphill battle, but my pain is very gradually getting better, and I hope to overcome this.

Any advice or similar stories are appreciated!

2. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Welcome to TB! I have no advice but hope your issues subside.

Salem6127 likes this.
  3. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Welcome to TB.
    I don't have any guaranteed advice, but at least you might try changing the length of your strap/bass height, and see if that makes any difference- good or bad. Can't think of anything else. Good luck and keep us posted. Glad to have you aboard.

Salem6127 likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021