forming a band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by warwickben, Feb 6, 2002.

1. my band just broke up i have no clue how to get in to another one.all the peeps i know who play are in a band and i am only 16 .i quite the band because i new they didnt have the work ethicto go any were.i live in mass and hate playing pop punk ****(thats the only bands i can join) and would want to be in like in a band that like chillie peppers,primus,zep,sabbath liek music that the bass players plays some thing othere the the guiatre.but i dont know how to like find others who want to form a band that gets some were that are around my age.
  2. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    your friends that u know, that play instruments--even if they are in a band, ask them to "jam" sometime. tell them you just wanna play a little, pick a couple songs and tell them you had those in mind. then maybe it will turn into a routine thing, and eventually a band. just kinda get the word out that you're band is no more, and your thinking about starting a new one. it doesn't happen right away (believe me...), just go with the flow.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Hey, my band just broke up to. Sucks donkey ****s. Stupid drummers..... Thats right folks. Polly is no more! Rest in peace my only job! Now what REALLY sucks, is trying to find another band.....DOOKIE! The drummer might move back, after about 3 months. BUT if he doesnt. Screw polly.

Edited for content
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm not trying to be the devil's advocate or prick by saying this, but being a bass player, it's freaking easy to find another band. Great guitar players can go on forever without finding bands, but bass players are on short supply.

My best suggestions are classifieds, both posting them, and reading them. At music stores, in newspapers, and on the net. I bet you could find a band in 3 days, tops. (Of course, I don't know if you drive, that could pose a problem)

Also, don't look at the fact that your 16. I've always played with guys older than me. I'm 19, and in my current band, two of the guys are in their 30's.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What part of Mass. are you from? Location is everything!

Within 40 miles of Boston there is a huge number of bands of all kinds. If you have transportaion (you did say you were 16) and gear, I'm sure a lot of bands could care less that you're not 18 if you can play.

If you live near Worcester, there are all-ages shows all the time at the Palladium and you might be able to hook up with other players there.

Another way to meet players in general (though not focused on the sort of music you mentioned) is attending blues jams. Many allow all-age participation, it's a way to at least start meeting other musicians in your area.
  6. Really? I never knew that. When are such things? How does one get to play there? I live just about 20 minutes from Worcester.

I believe warwickben is from Tewksbury, btw.
  7. hey how did you knwo were i am from.liek all my freinds that play are in bands and cant jam cause there allways working or with there band.and there no band looking for a bass player.and i dont want to play the typ of punk the bands around my neck of the woods play.they just suck. i dont drive.and i know you have to play the gigs you can gte but like i just cant play the stuff the bands around my town plays its just screamming with really bad guiatre and all most no bass. any more help would be cool
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yo can check here for listings at the Palladium.

Upcoming shows (winter/spring 2002) include King's X, Govt. Mule, Gwar, NE Metal and Hardcore Festival, Rob Zombie, etc. They also do shows with local bands. Their number BTW is (508) 797-9696

Also the above link has listings for Trance Buddha in Shrewsbury (just east of Worcester), a 100% all ages club (508) 842-3337

You can check these sites for all-ages shows in the region (most also have musician's classifieds):

Another place to play shows (no pay) is at the Center for the Arts in Natick, every Sunday afternoon they host "Rock on Main Street" with local high-school age bands performing.
  9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Warwick Ben, there is a very positive way to look at this time without a band. You can use this time to really hone your technique and skills. Learn to read standard notation if you don't know already. learn slap technique if you can't already, expand your working knowledge of theory, study different music styles such as reggae, blues, country...anything to increase and enrich yourself as a bassist. That way when you finally do find a band that plays what you prefer, you will be in excellent shape to join that band and keep the gig.

In short, consider this "down time" as a golden opportunity to become an even better bassist than you already are.
  10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    ...and spelling and punctuation classes...
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    warwickben, you really did used to be registered here as benjamintowle, didn't you??:D

Your spelling and punctuation are a dead give away.
  12. Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    I wondered who would break the silence on this
  13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Dammit, I like to be the one to call benjamintowle out! ;) :D

Hey ben, you've been around here long enough to know that there have been a hundred threads like this already. Just because advice wasn't aimed specifically at you, doesn't mean that you can't benefit from it anyway. While I'm on my soapbox, the same thing goes for those gawd-awful "Name My Band" threads that pop up every few weeks.
  14. Well, in my experience, most bassists in bands i know are really just guitarists playing bass. There are two ways to work this angle.

1. Tell the band (not the bassist) of your position, you are available and are actually a bassist. They will be impressed, as previously mentioned guitarists are ten a penny, bassist, wow, rare. Tell them the current bassist is an embaressment and has been bashing their guitar playing

2. Tell the bassist that he thinks he should break out as a songwriter in his own right. These guys are holding him back and that he should seek out new opportunities. Drop in there somewhere that you are an enthusiastic BASSIST in search of that special guitarist for making great new music.

Hopefully all this back stabbing will give you enough enemies to give you good stories to tell at dinner parties (assuming you are invited to them) and maybe a kick in the right direction.

Im sure my advice is as always appreciated, so long there warwickben/the guy who cant spell apparently