Forming a Serious Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MasterChief, May 23, 2005.

1. MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    I'm currently a sophomore in high school. I want to form a serious band (write songs, play gigs, record), but I have found this to be a very difficult thing to do.

I became friends with someone by playing music with him. He's talented, suggests good ideas, and you can feel the passion he puts into music. We played an original piece at a talent show on Friday and received wild applause (the best response). Our styles complement each other, they blend well. The problem is that he's moving two hours away in six weeks. I talked to him about making this band work, but he hasn't given me a response on the situtation yet.

If he doesn't think we'll be able to do it, then I'll be starting a band with someone else. In either case we need a drummer. How do we advertise ourselves in the area efficiently? Obviously we would like someone who can make a positive contribution to the music. Passion in the music, creativity, friendly, open-minded. Those are top qualities I can think of right now.

I know I'll need to work on PR skills in order to maintain a band, so here's my chance.
  2. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    That is a hard question to answer considering that... With all the hard work both of you guys put into the band. It could still possibly fizzle out. Like most bands do. Just do what you feel is right.
  3. Many areas have a local music scene paper which you could advertise in, sometimes its free to do so.

Also putting up ads in your local music instrument store, cd shop and uni noticeboard often works.

Be sure to state the style of music you want to play, and any special requirements you have (no w***ers is often a good start)

Talk to other local bands and music people. Check the students in the music class at school.

If you start with a professional attitude and outlook, you will soon weed out those people who are only in it for a lark.

Best of luck!
  4. bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I see "MasterChief" in your username, are you in the Hampton Roads area? If so, trek right on over to Alpha Music on Virginia Beach Blvd and give them a shout. Tell them what you're looking for and see if any of the guys/gals in the place can point you to some resources to help you out. They are good people. There might be some people over at Guitar Center too, they seemed cool enough when I was in there.

Good luck.

Btw, don't bother with the long-distance relationship, that will most likely fizzle quickly at your age. I'm retired Navy, so I've had plenty of those from the time I was 19 to 39.
  5. mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    long distance will be super hard to pull off unless you are both very dedicated and focused. i would start working on your own songwriting skills and start jamming like crazy with as many friends as possible. as far as promotion i would recommend burning a demo and passing them out and meeting people, thats really the best way tpo get people out to your shows. without a connection to you they are not going to want to come, thats what ive experienced
  6. kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    you're at a good age to start a serious are still young and don't have to worry about working 40 hrs. a week and stuff so you will have more time to put into a band...take advantage of that....good luck with the guitar might just have to find someone far as could try putting a flier up in a music store might have to try several people before you find the right one but that's one way to do it