Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Forming my first band... sucks big time!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Suckbird, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    So a friend of mine who is a drummer wants to form a band with me and another friend of mine who will play the guitar.

The problem is that the drummer is bitchy and doesn't wanna play anything... a band without songs to perform or what? are we going to pretend we're playing?

Anyway, the guitarist is pretty much a newbie and the drummer has been taking lessons for almost 2years(not much of improving).

I can say i'm easily the most talented in the group but so what?
    The guitarist does as good as he can and if it's something to hard for him then he start learning in it in his own tempo.

Here comes the problem, most of the songs i play are way to hard for the other band members so my guitarist usually comes with suggestions like green day etc... i dont like green day but i can play them if they want it.

But the drummer, argh...
    every suggestion we come with he just say "to hard to play on drums", i tell him he'll learn in time but if he plays the same **** over and over he'll never improve..
    then he says THIS :mad: "i dont have time"

HE HAVE JUST AS MUCH TIME AS ME AND THE GUITARIST!!!

and if he doesn't wanna give drumming the time it takes to learn
    it then why the hell does he play it?
    My drumming is on the same level as his and i have almost never played, 2years + lessons my ass.. :spit:

Bah, just have to get it off somewhere..

And now this is not a problem with the band because there will never be band.

I keep see threads poppin' up where people complain on drummers and now i can see why.. even though i guess every drummers not the same.

Sorry for my wankery. :(

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Went through the same thing with our drummer for 3 years. He didnt put the effort in we did, he didnt practice, missed rehearsals, never tried to become any better at his instrument. We fired him about a month and a half ago now. It sucked, as he was one of our best friends. But we are far better off. The new drummer is several years younger then him, and rocks his socks off.

The best part about the new drummer? He WANTS TO BE A DRUMMER!

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Sounds to me like it's about time for you to get a little experience firing drummers.

4. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Or finding a new band all togther.

I know a lot of people that confuse being in a band with playing with a bunch of friends that get togther sometimes. To me being in a band is having somewhat of a practice schedule, with [structured] practices, and having set songs that you play either covers or orginals and everyone knows what instrument(s) they play.

If you truely are better then the rest try and find another band. go to music stores and post flyers. Also try going to local shows and asking around.

Trust me if its bad now its more then likely going to stay bad and get worse.

5. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Time to venture out on your own! Find some other musicians to play with. Bassists always seem to be in demand. Jam with your friends, but play with your bandmates. Good luck!

:bassist:

6. Don't bother with that band if they aren't willing to put work in. The drummer sounds like a problem. The guitarist would be fine, as long as he's committed. He will improve. The biggest problem is a member who doesn't practice or do any work.

7. i say, stick with it. let's put it this way, at least your not stuck with a vocalist that can't really sing and doesn't feel he has to improve (plus has a wierd memory problem) and a drummer that is depressed to the point that he feels the only thing he can look forward to is sleep, so he has no reason to improve. THAT is my band. on the other hand, we do a pretty decent job, and our chemistry is all together, so the only thing we have to concentrate on is improving.

8. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Depends on what you want. Are you just looking for a few jamming partners? Or are you dreaming of playing music for a living. If its the first, then no big deal. Although the drummer sounds like a pompus jerk. And if the bass and drums cant sync up, you have nothing to build off.
    If you want to be serious, play out, get paid, have fans, sell cd's, play label showcase's, get groupies, have a tour bus and develope a cocaine habit and eventually od on your rock and roll lifestyle only to be immortalized by pop culture.Then every member of your band has to be 100% committed. Unless your father is Butch Vig or something like that.
    My advice, ditch the drummer, keep your buddy on guitar. While you look for another drummer, mayb branch out and audition for other bands looking for bass players. Maybe you can be in 2 bands, your own and someone else's

9. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    How long have you been playing??

10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    2 years in november.

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Let go of the drummer man, I'm in a school band with a sh*t drummer too, and it sucks bigtime. I play better drums than him, the piano player is better at drumming, the teacher is better at drumming...Don't do it, it will only cause frustrations, and if you fire him now, the chances of staying friends are bigger then when he gets fired after a year of rehearsals.

Just my €0.02

12. I'd say you need to find another group. You don't have to disolve the one you're in. As it seems, it isn't too demanding on you. So find another band, theres no law that says you cant be in 2 or even more bands. If the current group doesn't get better, it wont last anyway. Maybe they'll see you doing good in another band and get motivated to improve themselves a bit.

13. Having a good drummer is crucial to having a good band. I like my drummer, hes real good for his age and we've never had any problems with him.