1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Formula 1 2013 season

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassbrad, Mar 17, 2013.

1. So now we have the first race in the books, Congrats to Kimi, Fernando and Seb and especially Ferrari!
    Should be another interesting Season.

For US viewers so far NBC Sports has done a fine job.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Only thing I'm not liking about this year is when I googled to see what time the race was being aired here, I found out the winner before watching the race!

Looked like a good race... still not a fan of the requirement of using both tire compounds in a race. Can't believe drivers were pitting in only 5 laps! That's ~16 miles before pitting. Ridiculous.

3. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Bet it is going to be as boring as the last, say, 7-8 years...

I was a fan about a decade ago. I tried really hard to keep liking F1 but I could barely make to the 3-4 race in those last seasons.

4. Big Ferrari fan here, though that was a great drive by the Iceman. The Lotus appears to be quite gentle on the tires (sorry... "tyres" ;)).

Looking forward to Malaysia next week.

5. Cool race, Hamilton looks like he made the right choice with the state McLaren are in

Should be good to see how the cars/teams shake up when they have race in hotter weather in Malaysia

Both Kimi and Alonso put up a good title fight last year with less success in Kimis case and a worse car in Alonso's case, should be a good fight this year.. can't really judge too much from a single race though.

6. I thought it was a good race, felt bad for Sutil at the end.

7. Were you a fan in the DRS era? I am only in about my second full season watching it, and the races don't bore me. (Just because of the newness?)

8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I used to be a major fan, back in the '60s and early '70s. Maybe, when the FIM pulls their finger out and puts Bernie Ecclestone in a nursing home (where he belongs), and gets back to having rules that MAKE SENSE, I'll be a fan again. Till then, I'll watch anything but F1; even (shudder) NASCAR.

9. Second race and it's looking to be an interesting season filled with uncertainty and controversy. Would love to be in on some of the team debriefs

Should Vettel have stolen the race from his team mate Webber?

Should Hamilton have broken team order to let Rossberg podium?

What was Alonso thinking?

Where was Massa's blinding start?

Who will win in China?

10. Race 3 kudos to Alonso, Kimo and Hamilton!

This season should be very interesting.

11. Silverstone what an amazing race.
    Congrats to Rosberg, Webber and Alonso!!
    Big loser of the race Pirelli, what up with those tires!!
    Was disappointed for Hamilton and Masa who both had great races despite the blow outs.

Silly Season begins with Webber announcing his retirement from F1.

12. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    Truly outstanding F1 race today at Silverstone.

I'm a Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso fan... but it's great to see Nico Rosberg grabbing some glory for AMG Mercedes.

Enjoyed seeing Weber make it to the podium in his last F1 season.

Love the way Lotus and Force India are giving the "Big $$$ Teams" a run for their money!!!

Can't wait to see the formal declaration of what caused the "Pirelli Explosions!"

13. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    Great race today.

Poor Pirelli though. Did exactly what the FIA wanted: tyres that degrade quickly so that there would be more pitstops in a race and more strategy with compounds/saving tires and are now taking the heat because people don't like it and the teams are doing something outside the designed purpose of the tires. Before you say something about that, it is likely that Pirelli was given unrealistic downforce/pressure/camber numbers to design around, designed to it, and then the teams are running them how they want, causing the issues.

14. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    Hmmmm... don't recall seeing the tires of prior suppliers spontaneously disintegrate in such a violent manner...

I wonder why Pirelli was interested in moving back to kevlar belts? Maybe they are less "explosive!"

15. tomersg

tomersg

Aug 6, 2007
    Israel
    luck there aren't pirelli strings.. they would break at the middle of every gig.. boomer..

16. I didn't catch the post race. Did Pirelli come out and say this? Why would the FIA not slam penalties on teams that are operating the tires out of spec?

17. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    Its just speculation right now. As far as I know, there is only a maximum camber specification. It is hard to really say what pressures teams are running, as thats pretty closely guarded and can fluctuate wildly depending on other components

Here's the picture I'm referring to:
    BOCcrIDCcAAYpvw.

18. To have the tires rip apart with such violence is not acceptable when we have drivers going in excess of 120 mph, it's pretty terrifying at much slower speeds, and has no place in F1.

Evidently Pirrelli, FIA as well as all the drivers are very concerned, there has been a significant change in the upcoming testing allowing regular drivers to test.

Masa in his post race comments was concerned to say the least, he was one of the drivers that suffered a failure and had his race ruined along with Hamilton. "Now, our greatest concern revolves around safety, because even if I can’t really tell what happened today, it’s unacceptable having to drive knowing you are not safe."

19. I saw the same pic on the broadcast. If the teams are not running the pressures up to specs, wouldn't that put the onus on them for the driver's safety?

Pirelli, I would assume, wants to make their tires as safe and durable as possible (with the degradation the FIA wants) because there is a lot of dough to be made from the F1 contract.

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Not a lot of dough to be made from the F1 contract- they do it for marketing, largely.

The failures were a result of F1 times running lower pressures and higher cambers than Pirelli suggest (which teams have ALWAYS done, including with Bridgestone and Michelin), higher kerbing height, and the fact that teams have swapped the left/right sides to get more optimal cornering performance- ALL of which led to higher loads on the tires (particularly on the outside sidewall of the left rear), resulting in a greater likelihood of blowout.

There are tons of problems there, not just caused by Pirelli or the teams. It is why Pirelli want the FIA to mandate pressure and camber ranges, give live telemetry so Pirelli can monitor that data, and prevent teams from rotating tires side to side.

It is all largely political, though- Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari want tire changes to be made to make the tires stiffer and have less degradation, as that would help them maximize performance. Force India and Lotus, who use the FIA-mandated spec to good use (and thus did a substantially better job of designing their cars around the tires, AS THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO), are against the changes because it will nullify their advantage.

They talk about safety, but it is really that the teams who are having trouble with the tires want them to be changed to a more durable spec to avoid their deg issues. It is not about safety.