Formula 1 / F1 / Formula One 2020 season

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Low8, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Hey there, folks!

Any regular F1 followers out there? Thoughts on the upcoming 2020 season?

I'm hoping that McLaren can continue to make progress. Things look promising for the boys in orange and blue!

Also, I'm ready for Hamilton's run to come to an end. C'mon... either let's see him move to Ferrari (and take Danny Rick with him) or let's have someone else give him some competition. Max... Charles?

Lackey, murphy and Passinwind like this.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    I was going to post a thread, but you beat me to it.

Now that the first week (only three days, actually!) of testing is over, who's going to win the championships? :woot:

I predict HAM will retire from racing halfway through the season as he'll get bored of winning everything.

LeClerc, and Ferrari will win the championships.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Low84 likes this.
  3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Did Jackie Stewart retire ? I always kind of like that John Surtees fella when he drove for Ferrari.

Pilgrim likes this.
  4. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I admire Leclerc's fire... but a) I don't know if Ferrari will have a car that will allow him to compete on a race-by-race basis and b) regardless of that, they need to move him to the #1 ride and turn him loose!

Max is fiercer competition for Hamilton. Although, I'm still a bit surprised he re-signed with the team.

Other thoughts...

Danny Rick needs to get out of that yellow ride ASAP. Either move to Ferrari or get in one of those orange cars.

And how the heck does Grosjean keep his ride? Holy cow.

5. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    Wellington, NZ
    Been following F1 since the late 90's. The 2021 F1 designs look like they're about to take flight. The Halo design seems to be working quite well.

1c622d3879ed319da4504a18c55702b0-4.jpg

murphy, Jim Kernan and Low8 like this.
  6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Beautiful

Correlli and Low84 like this.
  7. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Gorgeous car! Let's hope they leave the tires uncovered for 2021 and beyond and don't go the Formula E route.

Correlli likes this.
  8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    So thats what F1 looks like these days, wow, looks like it was built by aliens.

Gaolee likes this.
  9. stonehenge

stonehenge

Apr 8, 2011
    Duvall WA
    excited for this season, high hopes for Mclaren and would like to see Grosjean go away!

10. LexD

LexD

Aug 17, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: D'Ambrosio Guitars
    Seems to me Merc has already one upped the field with the Dual Axis Steering mod. Which the FIA has already banned for 2021.

Looking forward to Melbourne.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I've been an avid follower since around 1960 and attended a few USGP rounds at Watkins Glen back during the infamous Bog era.

Thoughts? Hate DRS, hate contrived tire wear, hate metered fuel flow restrictions. They can do better than this.

This year? If the DAS system is allowed then other teams can put their 2021 cars at risk by going down the rabbit hole, or just shoot for "best of the rest" this year. Unless someone else hasn't put all their cards out yet, which is always a possibility. Ferrari and Haas, looking at you. Not that it'll matter that much for Haas.

And as far as Haas, IMO the problem is higher up than Grosjean, he is merely a symptom. If Gene Haas isn't already shopping the team I'd be very surprised.

murphy and Low8 like this.
  12. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Not, yet.

13. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Very probable. Plus, Gene's a bit of a shady character. Most F1 teams that run around toward the back of the pack and wad up carbon fiber don't last very long. Wondering how Williams continues to put cars on the grid makes me scratch my head.

murphy and Passinwind like this.
  14. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Mercedes dual-axis steering... pretty slick.

15. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    It was deemed legal for this season only. We will not be seeing it in 2021.

16. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Interesting and fun season so far. Mercedes is the team to beat... and with the new car pushed back to 2022, it looks like they'll be the top dogs in 2021 as well.

With Ferrari in a slump (Sainz has to be thinking 'WTH am I about to get into?") , Red Bull appears to be the only team to be able to challenge Benz for wins. But don't be surprised if McLaren shows up on the podium this season or next -- that team is on the rise.

17. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    I'm rooting for Racing Point!

murphy likes this.
  18. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Only way I can root for those guys is if they keep Hulk in the car. :smug:

ahc and murphy like this.
  19. adje

adje

Feb 3, 2004
    So you guys managed not to notice Max won Silverstone 2?

murphy likes this.
  20. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    What, FOM didn't come up with some cutesy name like Stonesilver® or some such, similar to what they did for the second Austrian race (Styrian GP)?

I do like this concept of running two consecutive races on the same track.

Low8 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022