Forrest Gump Special FX - how?! And Lennon!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Las Olas, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey guys

A few questions about this movie, which have been annoying me.

1) how is Lt Dan shot, shown as having no legs? It's incredibly convincing. Esp as he falls off his chair etc.

2) in the John Lennon interview, where John and the interviewer and saying the lyrics of Imagine......whats going on? Can someone explain this? Did he write the song after having this conversation? Was this dubbed in? Was this a famous interview?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    wow, forrest gump, I haven't seen that movie in a long time.

did you watch it on DVD? I'm pretty sure that sort of stuff is covered in any making-of specials they have.

I remember seeing one before explaining how they did some of those effects, but I forget.
  3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    No I didnt see it on DVD. But I'll try and check that out now, thanks.

4. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    It was all done with computer generated effects. For the missing legs, it was the same principle that is used by TV weathermen. That map isn't actually behind them, it's just a blue screen and the computer generates an image to us viewers of a weather map wherever there is blue. Even the weatheman has to look at a monitor off camera just to see what he is pointing at. All he sees behind him is a blue wall. For the leg scene in the movie, blue stockings were worn up to the point at which the amputation was to have occured. The background was shot without the actor in it so that the computer could capture the entire scene unobstructed. Then with the actor in the scene, the computer inserted segments of it's stored background image wherever the blue was, thus the actors legs were replaced with computer inserted scenery to make them appear invisible to us. For the interview, I don't remember the Lennon interview specifically, but all of the scenes used in the movie, ie John F Kennedy hanging a medal on Forrest etc...were actual historical archive scenes in which again through the magic of computers, the original people were replaced with the movie character, or the character was inserted in scenes where there had previously been no one there. Thanks for reminding me of this movie, I haven't watched it in about 6 years and it's time to dust it off!
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The 2-disc DVD box shows all the tricks...worth seeing if you're a fan of that movie.

There's a deleted scene where Forrest meets up with some vicious Police dogs(I think Dr. Martin Luther King is also in this scene); naturally, he knew the canines when they were pups...he goes on to pet them as he calls their names.
  6. Don't forget where he shakes hands with JFK and says "I gotta pee" :D
  7. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    It's been a while since I've watched the DVD, but what I remember is that... the scene was filmed on a recreation of the Dick Cavett set. Dick Cavett played himself (obviously made up to appear younger). John Lennon was imposed into the scene later - his voice is actually that of an actor doing a John Lennon impression, the lips on the John Lennon footage being manipulated to synch with the new dialogue.
  8. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ha, I was just thinking about that bit of the film the other day. When I saw the film I remember laughing at it, and noticing that it did look fake.