Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

forth finger

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jeff2287, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    My bass teacher told me to practice "Old Brown Shoe" by the Beatles and this particular bassline has shown me that I've been neglecting my pinkie for far too long, so if anyone can suggest some bass lines or little routines to help me with this forth finger problem, it will be quite appreciated. Thanks in advance ;-).

2. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sounds boring, I know, but scales can work that pinky out sumthin' fierce. Particularly this minor pattern:
    1-3-5
    1-3-5-
    1-3-4-
    1-3-4-

Practicing that ascending and descending will really work your pinky out. Also, practice doing trills between your ring and pinky. They're little fun tidbits that will build up your pinky strength over time.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    oops, that number pattern didn't appear quite as it should have. Well, start from the bottom 1-3-4 on the E (or B) string, and go up a string for each pattern.

5. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    a workout that got me using all of my fingers is this one

G-1---------2/3--------4-
    D--2------3----4------5--
    A---3---4-------5----6---
    E----4/5----------6/7----

i take that all the way to the 12th fret then work it down back and forth then when you have that one down try this one

G----4/5-------6/7---------
    D---3---4-----5---6--------
    A--2-----3---4-----4-------
    E-1-------2/3--------3------

of course both of those exercises work on any tuning and this will get your pinky and other fingers pretty strong