Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fortress I and ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jun 13, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hey! im in the hunt for a warwick, and since i live in uruguay i have to go to argentina for one....

so i checked the clasiffies there and someone is selling a fortress ONE. ill look the music shops there also cause maybe i can find something else.....

so i did a search and many people say that thet sound different than many warwicks..... that may be either good or bad....

so my question is: what "famose player" uses a fortress and what song do you recomend me for hearing 1? also is there someone here that recorded with one and is willing to send me an audio file?

what wood is the body (and neck) made of?

ok, thancks a loit for info!

JuAN

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i readed somewere that it sounbds "thin"..... what about this?

also my 1st influence is les claypool, i use a lot of compressor to slap, im in the right track with this bass?

3. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    I own a Fortress-one. Maple body, wenge neck, gold hardware. Killer tone. Agrressive growl for a single pickup bass.

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

the one im maybe gattin has a P/J pup configuration....

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Do you know what you own?
    Fortress One 4's are PJ
    Fortress One 5's are 2J's
    both came stock with chrome hardware.

Sounds like a Fortress Masterman to me.
    It's the only Fortress to come with gold hardware.
    The Dual J p'up is actually 2 independent J's with Pan and
    Individual Preamps (Dual pre).

So, according to your description above...
    one could conclude that you don't even know what kind of bass you've got.

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Or acording to what u said i could conlude that you know nothing about pickups. ALL THE HUMBUCKERS COME WITH 2 COILS (sometimes 3 or even 4 coils like in ritters) THAT ARE SINGLE COIL PICKUPS WOUNDED IN COUNTER DIRECTIONS!. This pickups are called twinjazz.

And this preamp config wont change the fact that the fortress masterman is loaded with 1 tweaked pickup.

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    The Warwick MM system is 2 coils and a dummy coil to
    cancel out hum when only one coil is selected.

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The musicmans sterling and 'ray5 have the same function (thus not the same preamp config) and they still called single p-up basses.
    In fact were both right, you know those basses were u can select if u want to run its pickups single or hum, each pickup is wired to serve that pourpose. But it could be wired to be used in 3-way, FRONTsingle-BACKsingle-hum you would still have 1 pickup wich physical characteristics would allow u to use them as 1 of each kind.

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Wrong.

Humbucker = single coil + dummy coil for hum-cancelling.
    If you have two coils in a p-up, both of which can be used for making sound, that is a Double-coil, DC

TwinJazz p-ups are essentially 2 individual p-ups in a quasi-shared housing, but in function, they work as a DC, with individual vol and tone for each coil.

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Or you can go on with the combinations ;)
    DC wirings:
    - series
    - parallel
    - single coil, either front or back coil
    With Bart quad-coils, you have even more wiring options:
    - split-coil aka P
    - reverse-split, aka reverse P
    - series
    - parallel
    - sc, either front of back.

11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Little off topic:
    The dolphin pro 1 comes with the SAME pickup in the treeble pos and doesnt have the pan pot for it, and noone says it has 3 pickups, same thing happends with laklands 55-xx that come with the bartolini pickups....

The humbucking pickup has 2 coils http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/pickupin.htm
    but there are also humcancelling pickups with dummy coils (alembic series 1 and 2) and singlecoils humcanceling (i.e. jerzy drozd singlecoils come with half coils wounded clockwise and the other half counter-clockwise)

12. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Come over to the P-ups and do a search or read some of the faqs. ;)

The Dolphin and the Infinity and the others have that quasi-dc-twin-p-up wired as a DC. One vol for the twin-p-up. The masterman series had the two coils wired independently, with vol and tone for each coil.