1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Forum Search Help - Exact String

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Steve Freides, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Hi. I'd like to be able to search all the double bass forums for

concert band

and _not_ have it bring up messages with only "band" in them. I tried putting "concert band" in quotes in an Advanced Search but that didn't change the behavior of the search engine.

My interest is pretty self-evident - I'm the string bass player in a concert band and I'd like to see if that subject has been discussed before starting a new thread about it.

Thanks much in advance for any help about this and, if it's not a currently available feature, please consider this a feature request.

-S-

2. I've always had the same trouble with the search feature - it's really hard to narrow it down, and more often than not you wind up with a few hundred results.

I've actually had some success just going to Google and search whatever topic I'm interested in and adding "talkbass" in as well.

3. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    Try searching Google using "site:talkbass.com" followed by your search terms.

If you want to search within a specific forum, just add the forum's ID to the end of your site URL. For example, to search in the Amps forum, you'd use "site:talkbass.com/forum/f15".

AFAIK, the forum IDs aren't listed anywhere, but they appear in the address window of your browser, so you just have to remember them, as needed when you want to search. Hope this helps!

4. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I used the Contact Us at the bottom and heard back from a forum admin who suggested I search on

concert and band

and restrict my search (using Advanced) to titles only, and that did bring up much less - can't say if it brought up everything that would have been relevant but I think it was an OK, if not ideal, solution. I just will have missed all the thread that started on another subject and ended up including concert band ...

Google is cool that way. You can actually put in search strings and then put in:

site:www.talkbass.com/forum

and it will only search there. I have used that on other sites where the search engine didn't exist or didn't work the way I wanted.

I've also seen some sites where they use Google for their searches, and give you a choice of "this site only" or "entire web" - that would work for me here.

-S-