1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Forums and asshats!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by powmetalbassist, Jun 4, 2012.

1. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

So i was on a extended range instrument forum and asked why extended range was used. It seemed like a legitimate question as I had never really understood the need for 10 string guitars and 9 string basses. Any7ay I figured it would be a good place to pose the question. Long story short a couple good replies, alot of jackass remarks and a thread that was closed by the moderator in less than 24 hours.

Why was I wrong to post a question like that?

2. Jake Saint

Jake Saint

Dec 31, 2011
    Mine Hill, NJ
    quite simply put, you weren't. but people react instead of thinking logically, and as such, mods tend to step in and just shut down the forum instead of dealing with those who behave like asshats.

3. you just destoyed there whole world how dare you...lol

by the way, why do you need bass guitars when a synth can do the same? :p

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Trolling a thread into a flame war is one tactic for provoking a response which coincidentally serves to stifle alternate views. Trolls 1. Civil discourse 0.

5. I'd like to see the exact opening post- opinions often differ as to the definition of *inflammatory/trolling/insulting...*
    Once a week or so someone- often a fairly new TBer- will ask *Why use a pick/play a 5/6/7/19 string/passive/active?(here's the part that starts s**t going)It just seems pointless/foolish/inane/W/E.* :eyebrow: Is it really not obvious that stating the opinion that you think this behavior is[insert insulting term here]is equally- or even moreso- (IMO)foolish? I [DEL]abhor[/DEL]do not care for lots of things that others love dearly. I feel no need to throw said feelings out unsolicited(although some might say I'm doing so now... :)).

6. Don't forget the rounds vs flats, and the rosewood vs maple! ;)

7. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

This thread is win because you're in :) Well played BB :D

8. AAAND add *for metal*. :)

9. I will say that MOST of the time, TBers are quite capable of civil discourse, and our beloved/respected/feared overlords are ALWAYS quick to squelch any scofflaw poopflingers(hmm- metal band name?). :D

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Unfortunately, the Internet allows douchebags to voice thier thoughts, LOUDLY. For an example, read the comments section under any YouTube video, especially music. Sometimes it's funny to watch people practically fight to the death over who's a better guitarist, Eddie Van Halen or Yngwie.

11. I would imagine that one of the reasons people hang out on an extended range instruments forum, instead of a 'regular' guitar or bass forum, is that they don't have to see posts asking "why do you need all those strings?" So, however well-intended your post may have been, it was inevitable that the people on that forum would see it as trolling / insulting.

In my opinion, it's perfectly valid to ask why someone wants a Porsche, when they could buy a Corvette that is much faster for less money. But I wouldn't go to a Porsche owner's forum to ask that question and expect a polite response.

12. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    ^This. It's just like going into the Effects forum and asking, "Why do you need effects?" It's probably better to ask for examples of how those extended range instruments enhance the music they play.

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Ha, if you think instrument forums are bad, try going to car/automotive forums. Those guys are RUTHLESS. Anyone can go the bank, get a loan, and buy a new car, take photos of it and feel like superman....but not everyone can join a forum based on a certain craft or skill.

14. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Oftentimes it all depends on HOW you ask a question.
    On a forum, your whole being is simply condensed down to words on a screen. There's no vocal tones, no inflection, no body language, no smiles, just words.
    Often what would be a totally innocent question in person, can totally come across as trolling and you get the predictable responses.
    If you take a few extra minutes to word something more carefully, you'll often get much much better responses.

Obviously I'm not sure how you worded it so I may be way off bass (get it!?? harr harr) but if you said:

"I don't understand the need for extended range instruments, why do you guys even play them?"

Some folks are going to take that as a derogatory or condescending post, but if you said something like:

"I find extended range instruments puzzling. Do you find them more difficult to play and master? What is it about them that drives you to use them?"

then you've laid down a genuine question that the applicable folks may actually enjoy answering rather than feeling like they're defending their choices.

Know what I mean?

15. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay

This is tremendously profound. ^ ^ ^^ (imo.) Well said.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Excellent advice. Relic, you're like the Talkbass Buddha or something. :D

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    lol, I keep rubbing my beer gut and making wishes but I'm still not rich, famous and handsome....

18. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level

\:rollno:_ Pick War!!!!!!!!!!
    (.) Fretless Fight!!!!
    / \ Flatwound Riot!!!!

Make music, don't fight!

19. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    That's a pretty heavy bill. Where's it at? ;)

20. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Inactive

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I am a huge fan of free speech, and hate it when threads are locked (unless they are spam, or libelous, etc)

What was your point in asking the question? Was it because you are really interested, thinking you might swing that way, just want another viewpoint?

I find nothing wrong with your question, and I love extended range instruments of all types. I also love a pure 4 string with flats.