Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Forums are up, searches are up.

Discussion in 'TalkBass.com News & Announcements' started by paul, Jun 25, 2005.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Whew... Sorry about all the downtime today (Saturday). Indexing the database after the server migration took 27 hours! (The server scans every post - all 2,130,000 of them... - and indexes the words so that they become searchable. Our search index now contains 1.2 gigs of words). The amazing thing is I nailed the completion time - I estimated 9pm and it wrapped up at 9:05pm. I think I have a deep connection to this webserver... ;)

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Nice job, Paul. :)

Hey, if I may ask, what are you running now?

Do you have a cluster or something?

I'm noticing the "hit time" when clicking links is a little longer, which makes me guess it's a Windows cluster of some sort, maybe multiple IIS's, something like that?

But I'm also noticing a level of robustness too, which is definitely a good thing.

Anyway, nice work man. I couldn't have done better if I was trying to predict the up-time on my Linux cluster. :D

3. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    No, I'd never run Windows :cool: The new setup is just two linux boxes. The backend, dedicated to mysql is very robust - Dual Opteron 244's, 4 gigs of RAM, 15k rpm drives in raid 1... So far I'm LOVING these Opteron chips - the benchmarks I've seen that put them way above Xeons for mysql performance seem to be spot on. Granted I've yet to see it handle Monday afternoon traffic... but from the looks of things we've got a lot of room to grow now.

The frontend Apache box is just a P4 3ghz, 2 gigs of RAM, 10k rpm drives in Raid 1. It's laboring more than the mysql box, but after I get the php script caching going it should speed up. Upgrading this box in the future is no problem - my main concern was database performance and it looks like we're doing well on that front, so far.

I suspect the hit time increase you're seeing is due to a geographical change - the datacenter I'm using is in Michigan now, instead of Colorado previously. It should be only a minor difference, I hope...

4. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    Nice job Paul!!!

If you're ever in Roanoke Va, I'll treat you to dinner.

I've done my share of website development (php mostly), re-builds, and moves....and your work on this is truley inspiring.

Keep up the good work.

5. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Paul, you've got a dinner coming in Burbank here as well. :)

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Here too-w/o this site i wouldn't be the player i am.

7. And he's got another dinner coming in Scranton, PA. This site has been in my favorites for QUITE some time, and is accessed several times a day.

Paul has definitely bettered me as a player! Thanks man!

8. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Paul, you have some issues with "hit time" right now.

Not sure exactly what's up, you might want to investigate a different RAID configuration.

Unix is notoriously inefficient when it comes to hard drive access - mySql is pretty good, but it's nothing like an Avid (or, I hate to say it, an Oracle cluster).

Maybe you might want to look into some databse optimization - just a suggestion, and a heads-up. :)

9. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Actually it's not the database server, it's the web frontend. I'm confident it's just an 'untweaked' apache config. Will get on that soon ;)

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Thank you Paul. Your hardwork and dedication does NOT go unappreciated!

11. +1~ !!! :hyper: