Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fostex MR-8

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassman1185, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Does anybody have any experience with the MR-8? It looks like a pretty good buy, and it would serve my purposes pretty well. Any input that I might find useful?

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey bassman,

It looks like a cool unit, except it only has 128mb of memory for recording. My friend is looking at the same unit, and the dealer admitted that it's only like 11 minutes of space, so I think you'd have to keep bouncing stuff off the memory card onto a computer, or cd. Or I guess buy some more CompactFlash cards, which could be costly...

Maybe i'm wrong -- let me know if you find anything to the contrary.

-Aram

3. According to Musician's friend, the 128mb card stores about 50 minutes in low-res mode.

4. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    True -- here's what Sam Ash's site says about it:

"Recording time in NORMAL MODE (16bit/44.1kHz) is approx. 25 track-minutes on the supplied 128MB CF card and 50 track-minutes on a 256MB card. EXTENDED MODE (16bit/22.05kHz) doubles the recording time. Note that recording time varies depending on recorded source, punch in/out, undo/redo status, etc. "

I think it would depend on what you are recording...just bass should be fine I'm sure, but if you were going to try and record a whole band it might be tough getting much onto the memory card. (although you could always buy additional cards).

Cheers,
    Aram