1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Found a 1952 Kay S-9... What strings do I put on it ?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by crocau, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Hello,
    I read many strings discussion but I am still undecided...
    • My new bass is actually strung with Corelli mediums... the guy I bought it from said the bass benefits from light strings.
    • I understand 50's Kay have sensible tops... so another tip to get light strings
    • My hands would also benefit from light strings...
    • I play 60% pizzicato, 30% slap, 10% bow but bowing is important in my practice routine
    • Limited budget
    • My best experience was with an Upton Bass with Spiro weich and a mittel E
    I love Eurosonics but they don't bow, I love Spiro, but IMHO they dont bow...I was thinking D'Addario Zyex light could be cool... Any ideas ? Thanks

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You should ask a mod to move this to the DB side

5StringBlues likes this.
  3. You'll get better response on this if you post on the Double Bass side of TB.

Strings [DB]

crocau likes this.
  4. Just asked the mod to move it for you. ;)

crocau likes this.
  5. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Guts at least on the G and D!

james condino likes this.
  6. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    You'll hear 100 different opinions. My vote is Spiro solos with guts on top.

Zyex have a really weak e string in my experience, so I'm not in favor of them.

Seanto and james condino like this.
  7. Plain gut ADG, Evah Pirazzi A downtuned to E. Or EP Slaps jacked up nice and high.

DC Bass and Sam Dingle like this.
  8. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Just want to throw it out there that the Zyex aren't necessarily easier to bow than Spiros, i would actually say they suffer their own difficulties on the E and A string that the Spiros don't. I've actually found my Spiro Weichs are easier to get started than both the Zyex and Helicore Hybrids sets i've used in the past. With that said, Zyex are still great strings IMO and can still be bowed to some sort of satisfaction me thinks. Spiros have more dimension to their sound though...like a fine wine :) Age does wonders on them while the Zyex just die.

I like the Spiro Solos idea because i bet they bow nicely(never tried the set).

crocau likes this.
  9. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    For jazz and show music I'm happy with Kolstein Heritage. I keep a set of Spiro Weichs on the C-1 for acoustic-only situations.

crocau likes this.
  10. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

Gut d and g for sure imho

crocau, james condino and DC Bass like this.
  11. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    "I understand 50's Kay have sensible tops."

???

There is nothing particularly sensible or nonsensible about them; 'just average build quality 70 year old plywood tops.

I probably string up at least 50 vintage Kays per year with almost every string combination you can think of. At the end of the day, my personal one always sports Spiro Mittel EA and raw gut DG, usually Damien Dlogulecki. If I need to bow a bit for the next gig I'll use Olive or Eudoxa DG. Nothing will give you the E string confidence on an old Kay that the Mittel E will.....

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  12. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I came across a '50 m1 recently with all gut, and now youre making me want to find some mittels to try on e and a.... You're a bad influence.

13. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    While you are at it, try a Stark E tuned down to D- a monstrous rumble and a wonderful juicy feel!

14. Thanks everyone... but overall, this is very confusing and i don’t have the money to try so many strings. I am quite happy with the ‘Traditional’ Strings on my NS Design, maybe i should stick with D’Addario Orchestra or Hybrid on my Kay instead of Zyex ?

15. You might be happy with D'Addario Helicore Hybrid Light or Spirocore Light/Weich 4/4.
    If you want a thicker G-string you can replace it with a synthetic core (Zyex Light, Evah Pirazzi Weich, Innovation Braided or Honey, Obligato or Sensicore) or a lighter wound gut string o a medium to heavy naked gut. Maybe also the D.
    But start with a full set.

crocau likes this.