Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Found a Free Affinity Squier Precision Body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soulbanana, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Okay here's the story. I happen to have lucked out on a free Affinity Squier Precision which got damaged in transport. The headstock has been cracked really bad, but the body and everything else is still in tip top nick. The neck will not take string tension, and it simply isn't worth the bucks fixing it.

My friend works in the said shop and has offered to pass it on to me, writing it off on their end.

Sounds like time for me to start another beater project. The big question:

Will the standard Warmoth / Allparts / WD replacement necks and replacement pickguards fit this Squier Affinity body? I'd be wanting to put a "Jazz" spacing neck on it and change the pickguard too.

This might have been covered before, but I did a search and can't really find it, so apologies in advance to the mods if this has already been covered.

Thanks!

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    They should but....

Measure the width of the neck pocket and compare it to the measurements that Warmoth posts for all thier bass necks

By the way, if it's an afinity squire, it is probably not worth spending as much on a neck as the instrument itself would have cost (i.e warmoth, allparts, wd, usacustom). Consider these necks from Rondo(scoll down near the end of the page.)

http://www.rondomusic.net/partsbodies.html

You would have to buy a nut for it (about a buck at GC), but all the hardware should fit right on, and at 40 bucks...
    Also, new Mighty mite necks can be found for around 90 bucks here:

http://www.guitarshopsupply.net/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=b6054b61407e8d589023aa1ac4400a7b

I've bought from Rondo, and they have good service, and the neck on my brothers SX is just fine, I heard about Guitar shop supply from another poster here, but have not dealt with them personally.

hope this helps,
    Karl

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

Yea but will any of these places deliver to Australia? I know that GC isn't there either.

I had a Squier Affinity P-bass when I first started playing. Once I had a setup done to it, it played quite well. You might want to get replacement pots though as I remember the ones in mine being really cheap and getting scratchy in less than a year of living room playing.

I'm thinking about building a frankenbass at some point myself so I'd like to see what you do with this body if you do pick it up.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    will the sx neck fit the fender body?

I emailed sx and I asked if a fender neck will fit a sx body and they said "not exactly"

5. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Thanks for the advice. The SX necks don't really fit. I've actually tried before. I'll probably go with one of the Allparts necks when my tech makes his next bulk order from them. Just want to confirm that the Allparts replacement Precision pickguards will schlop right on as well.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA