Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Found a gem.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayin, Feb 19, 2006.

1. bassplayin

bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    I just scored this bass a few days ago. It was handmade by Austin, TX. luthier Bill Giebitz. It features a 1 pc. swamp ash body with quilted maple top, a quilted and birdseyed maple neck and fingerboard with abalone dots on the top and sides, a LQ Badass bridge, Hipshot tuners, EMG pickups, vol/blend/stacked bass/treble, and a strat output jack. I'll probably switch out the gold tuners for some black ones. Eventually I'll lose the EMGs and throw in a set of Nordstrands, but for now I'm totally high on this bass. In the right light, the quilted top looks like flowing lava. I love it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    beautiful neck! I agree that the black tuners are a must! But I'm not a fan of gold hardware so what do I know?

3. i think that the gold looks ace on there with the birdseye. very nice bass

lowsound

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

that birdseye is hot!

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Wow, that is pretty sweet! Did you buy new, or is this an older model?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Love it, except for the tuners and EMGs, heh :p

7. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    im a sucker for modern-vintage looking basses.

modern shapes with sweet necks and figured tops in transparent finishes.

always sweet.

8. bassplayin

bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    I bought this from a bass playin friend of mine who had it sitting in his closet. He said its about 15 years old. Giebitz is "the guy" in Austin for repairs and refretting and many of the towns best players give him their business. The neck has a bit more heft around the backside than your typical Jazz, which I find to be very, very comfortable.

This is the first truly hand built bass I've owned- no CNC machines, all done by hand. I've noticed a certian mojo factor- an organic feel and vibe with this bass that isn't there with my other "factory" basses. Machine vs. Handmade= big, BIG difference.

I paid $600. The Bass God is smiling down on me. Now if only S/He'd send me a set of black Hipshots and some Nordstrands....

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    +1 on the tuners. Gold hardware always rubs me the wrong way.

I love that neck! congrats.