Found a instructor

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by d_squad54, Jan 12, 2006.

1. d_squad54

Dec 2, 2005
    I figure personal lessons are the best way to go. I need someone who I can talk to and ask questions when they come to me. Anyway, any advice involving teachers? How do I know if he is actually good and knows what he is talking about? I went to a legit music store and I am getting lessons in there studio at the store.
  2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Usually, a good teacher will listen to what you want to accomplish, what your goals for learning are, and will look and listen to what you already have under your belt. (not literally I hope, and if he does, run.)

He/she will look at your technique, IE, where and how you place your fingers, your wrist position, among other things.

From there, they should pinpoint your weakness's start you off on simple routines of scales, arpeggio's, & patterns.

Many teachers have different teaching regiments.

Not to say that having a teacher is not the way to go, far from it, but there are books that can help you out along the way.

A book I'm in the middle or reading (and learning) is the new book from Mike Dimin. It's called "The "CORE" Method", and it shows you the basics of finger patterns. You can find information on Mike book HERE and can contact Mike on how to obtain a copy. It's not released yet, but you can still get a copy if you want one. I own a copy and I've been learning a ton. And I've been playing for a long time. Mike makes it easy to learn. Contact Mike for a copy. Hell, bring the book in so your teacher can thumb through the book as well.

Best of luck!
  3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Thanks for the kind words. I am glad that you are getting something out of the book. I look forard to a full review on bassnutz. I am off to NAMM - so I'll be back in touch middle of next week