Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Found a Mesa RR 2-15 today.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

At a last moment I decided to drive to Stoughton, MA to have my EV 18 fixed.
    BTW, New England Speaker RULES.!!
    I kew where there was a 2-15 Mesa RR close to there so I stopped. The thing had 2 newly coned EV15L. Very good shape cab too. I tried it. I bought it.
    I was going to get a Berg 2-15, but I could not resist. I paid $410.+tax. I can use it with my 400+ or the V-4 or the Sunn 2000s. They are very efficient.
    I'll try it out this weekend with the band.
    I wonder if it is stretching it to run both Mesa 2-15 and a PH-1000 with just the 400+ ??? What do you think..??

2. Umm..I think if you managed to even get that behomoth out the dealers front door all by yer lonesome you prett y much have cart blanche to run any damn set-up you like. i mean...RR 2x15? That thing must weigh more than my VW.
    I _did_ run a RR2x10,RR1x15 and diesel Mesa 2x15 for a time(all EV-L's btw) all this with my 400+. Words fail. My rig just frickin' SANG. Wide open and massive with lovely midrange snarl. Oh man.

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Eh, you'll get tired of it in a week. You'll then turn around and sell it to me for about $450. :)

4. Rockbobmel

It is quite heavy, but not as heavy as my Diesel P-1000. Smaller too, I think. It is surprisingly compact. I don't think I'll huff it alone. It can sleep in my StaWag. I got that wagon so I could carry cabs easier. Until now it has been empty. Our drummer boght a shuttle bus and everything fits in it. I could have rode my bicycle to gigs.:hyper:

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've come across one, too. I was actually just about to post about it, but looks like you beat me to it! :D I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Ok, let's see if I have this straight: the 2x15B has a deeper sound than the 2x15L? Seems like that's what I remember from the searching I did here last night.
    If I do pick it up, I will be peeing on myself waiting for my other Mesa cabs to get here. A 2x15 with a pair of Powerhouse Jrs. I think that would tear down just about any club I've ever played in!

6. Rockbobmel

They almost always have the EV15L 400 watt series. They are suitable for guitar too. You can tell by the ribbed cones. No tweeters needed. I guess the EV15B (smooth cones) series don't go as high, but they are equal with the lows.
    I was a little skiddish about the L series cause I had one in my other Mesa that was very sloppy (Old). I replaced it with a Kappa Pro and put it in a MusicMan 15 scoop cab.
    The ones in the 2-15 are new recones and are tight. I'm not worried at all.:cool:

7. Hey, those EVL's are da shiznit. I put my Mesa RR1x15 up against my old Eden 2x10 and D212XLT's and the Mesa not only was tighter sounding but has a far richer and more "prescent" mid voicing that made those Eden's sound like cardboard, and all this from a 1x15 no less. Great stuff.

8. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I went to check it out today. I fully expected to walk out of there with a new used cab, but then came the sticker shock. They wanted $800 for it, and $750 was supposedly the absolute best they could do. Forget that! And on top of that, it wasn't in the greatest shape! The speakers had a slight fuzz to them, and all harmonics sounded like they were being played through a Big Muff. I gave them the Blue Book price, and said that I'd seen them going all over the place for the $400-$500 range, but they stood firm. They said the 2003 Blue Book price ($487) was based off of the 1987 pricing. :confused: I know for a fact, though, that they only give the Blue Book low wholesale on any used equipment they take in, so they took it in at the "1987" price, and are selling it for appx 80% of new retail.
    Oh well...missed this sale. :rolleyes:

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 15L has an extra octave of high end; specs say the 15B tops out at 3KHz, the 15L at 6KHz. Low frequency response is identical.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have a 215 cab loaded with Peavey Black Widows. Loud as hell, and sounds awesome. I run that cab with an Eden 410XLT. I power the set-up with my Crown.

It tears down walls, ruptures ear drums, and causes involuntary bowel movements! YEAH!

-Mike

11. Rockbobmel

Wait till you see a better deal come along. They are always available. You don't want any fuzzy tone. Even for $300. Go to www.daddys.com but they are in New England. There were 3 Mesa 2-15 cabs in there at once. Keep sniffing around. You'll find one.

12. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, I'm not sweating it. I just thought it would be a fun new toy. Not really something I've been GASsing for. I just can't wait for those Powerhouse Jrs to get here! :D

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Adron, did Trent call you about those cabs yet?

14. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Still haven't heard from him. It'll be 3 weeks friday. Haven't heard from you in a while, either. What's been up the past few days?

15. I bet those "blue book" quotes were for th Diesel model. A Mesa Road Ready cab is worth a whole lot more than the lesser, "mushier" sounding Diesels.

16. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    No, they were for the RoadReady cabs. Oh well. It should be one week from today when I see those PowerHouse Jrs show up! I'm so anxious!

17. Ah well, no biggie really. My old Diesel EV 15L loaded 2x15 was a wondeful cab but i don't especially miss it or anything. Not well suited as a "sub", those model of EV's made the rig more geared for use as a stand-alone IMO. With those Jr.'s showig up (two for you, is that right?) MAybe seek out something with less mid response and deeper low end extension.
    I have always kinda had a soft spot fer those Juniors....Do make sure to post a full review huh??

18. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    After hearing them, and finally playing with one, I'd tend to agree, Mad Sub. That 2x15 definitely seems better suited as a stand-alone cab. I guess I'll have to start this search all over when I'm looking for a sub. Isn't that the fun of it all, though!
    I'll be sure to post all my thoughts after I've had a chance to put those JRs through thier paces.

19. Rockbobmel

Well, I played tonigt throug the 400+ with the RR 2-15. I liked it, BUT...my Franken Boogie Powerhouse 1000 sounds fuller and tighter. The 2-15 sounded deeper in some ways, but the P-1000 sound was punchier and bigger. Obviously there is less cone area in the 2-15. They would sound GIGANTIC together. They both do different things.. I bet the 2-15 will sound better with my V-4 Magnavox. I'm gonna keep it. But If I can only use one cab, It's the P-1000. My drummer (band leader) was stressing out about too many speakers.

20. Rockbobmel

I Wanna hear about those 2 Jrs you ordered.. How are they.???