Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Found a nice "beater bass" !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfly, Sep 12, 2005.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I was going down to GC to pickup a Squier bass to use as a bass to "fiddle around" on. I figured if I was going to mess around with a bass as a project I might as well get a cheap one.
    I try to make it habit to stop by the "smaller" mom & pop shops on my way out to the big box GC. Sometimes the smaller shops have just what you are looking for.
    I found just what I was looking for in a project bass.
    A late 90's China made Squier P-bass.
    A few dings here and there, but all complete and unmolested. And a cool white color that is starting to yellow!
    $99.

This one is definatley better built than the current Indonesion models.
    Open back tuners, no skunk stripe on the back of the neck, and the fretboard looks and feels like those on a current MIM Fender.

So I swapped out the white pickguard for a Tortoise one, installed a SD 1/4 pound pickup, new CTS pots,Switchcraft jack,flatwounds and sheilded the cavities with copper foil.
    The sucker sounds fantastic! All for about $200 invested. Minus the $25 I got after selling the old pickguard and electronics. So I have about $175 into a nice "beater "bass.

pictures

2. Very nice, I love white basses with tort pickguards.

3. Cool, sometimes, you don't have to spend thousand $$ to get a bass where you're home playing it! Nice score