1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Found a NOS set of Fender 8250M strings - - afraid to put them on!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jamzcl, Oct 27, 2018.

1. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Been using Fender 8250M strings for probably 10-12 years on my American Fenders and have really got used to the 110 tapered E string. Even when they changed to having D'Addario make them I have stuck with them, but as many know they just aren't the same as they used to be.

Now that I found an old pack I'm hesitant to put them on cause of the odds of ever finding any more and having to go back to the new ones :meh:

20181027_132614. 20181027_132752.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Well, if you ain't gonna play them, pass them on to someone that will.
    Why have them sitting around in the package? It doesn't change whether you'll find more or not. Play those things.

- John

3. The worst thing you could do is to let them just sit idle for another 10 years.

It's either you put them on and enjoy playing them, or let someone else have a taste of the good ol' days when Fender made their own strings.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This (even though Fender likely hadn't made their own strings for years even before D'Addario.)

5. For your reading pleasure...

History of Fender Brand Strings

6. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Oh, I'll eventually put them on but it'll sure be sad to wear them out :crying:

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Neither thread seemed to clear up anything from 1994 on (I admit I only briefly scanned the TB one so Iay have missed something). I do know that I was selling "Made in USA" Fender strings in the early 2000s. But I have no idea who made them. I did a ton if string changes and remember seeing that on the package.

Other than, I got nutn.

8. Here's from the one I linked earlier: (posted by @Linnin)

Fender built its first factory in Ensenada in 1987 which burned to the ground in 1994. Fender rebuilt bigger and better and now has a massive complex of eight buildings. Fender string production was relocated there sometime after and I am unsure of the date. FMIC inexplicably shut down string production and instead contracted American string winders to produce their strings. I have read a date of 2010, but have no hard evidence. I continue to see threads posted from 2010 about the change in Fender Strings, so 2010 looks to be a 'hard date'.
    I'm no Fender historian, but I've always been under the impression that prior to 2010, when D'Addario took over the production of Fender-branded strings, Fender did make their own strings.

The accuracy of historical data aside, many would agree that, as far as the 8250M is concerned, the pre-D'Addario version was better.

9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    When Fender bought Squier, Squier was a string manufacturer

Yahboy and jamro217 like this.
  10. And three guys from Squier, named Gould, Holcomb and Solko, started up a company called GHS, which has now become my brand choice for strings.

11. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I like fenders but don't like their strings that much, so I wouldn't worry about putting them on :roflmao:

staurosjohn likes this.
  12. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    You can die in your sleep tonight , you know ?

If I love my car , I’ll drive it like I stole it!! Hopefully I’ll thrash it at a tarmac rally so nobody else will ever drive it.

If you love your strings , put em on and play until your fingers bleed !!

jamro217 likes this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

don't do it!

:laugh:

Old Blastard and jamzcl like this.
  14. I like D’Addario strings, but the switchover from Mexico to the US seemed to be a step backwards for Fender strings. The old Mexican pure nickel strings were low output but had a buttery smooth midrange that always brought a smile to my face.

jamzcl likes this.
  15. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    :roflmao:

JRA likes this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

No guts, no glory. ;)

jamzcl and JRA like this.
  17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Anyone want to offer up why the Fender strings were superior?

Smooth_bass88, 4001 and Admiral Akbar like this.
  18. joemer

joemer

Sep 25, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have the older 8250’s on my 2008 Am STD Pbass for about a year now and I think they still sound great(had them hanging around since about 2009). I also like the 110tw E string. Just put the D’Addario 8250M’s on my 2017 Am Professional Jazz Bass and I think they sound fine as well.

19. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    Personally I think the originals had a certain punch and clarity to them that the current version doesn't have as much of. I also think the current version gets dull quicker before having to swap them out.

20. NO! YOU MUST NOT REMOVE THEM FROM THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING! THE COLLECTOR DEMANDS THAT YOU NOT EVER PLAY THEM!

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.trekmate.org.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F09%2Fcollector.