Found a really good article on oil finishing.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Trevorus, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This is a great article from a wood worker that is somewhat near me. It's geared towards furniture a bit, but he has built acoustic guitars, so he does know instruments. Take a look if you are looking for something to help you get a good oil finish.

2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Good piece. Thanks
  3. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    That's a great article. I've got a bass coming to me that's been tung oiled and I'm thinking of refinishing it. This sounds like it might be a fun and ultimately very gratifying way to do it.

4. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    This is a great article, my only "gotcha" would be where you're wet sanding with the oil and per the author you develop a "slurry of oil and dust". If you have a bass with two very different colors of wood, and those woods have different porosity, etc., like maybe a maple neck through with black limba body wings, the "slurry" from the maple could get into the pores of the black limba and really end up looking bad.

I contacted the author about it and his suggestion would be to either seal the wood first with a sanding sealer, or maybe apply a coat or two of oil first without wet sanding via the typical method to seal up the wood and then progress with the wet sanding method.

5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That makes sense to me. He really geared this toward finishing of furniture pieces, but it really does apply to instrument building quite well.