Found a Rick 4003, but no where to anchor my thumb.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sincity, Apr 4, 2004.

1. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I found an early 80's Maple Glo with black hardware and trim.

Cost is $600.00

I love the tone of this bass, but not being able to anchor my thumb is keeping my from buying this bass. Also, I do not like playing with the pickup cover on.

What do you Rick players do, if anything, to anchor your thumb?
  2. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    My first bass was a Ric copy - i used to anchor my thumb on the bridge pickup, obviously I`ve removed the cover... I you don`t want to do that, just use the e string as a thumb rest :)
  3. Put a thumb rest on it.

It's a not a big speed bump.
  4. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I had the same dileema a while back. I love the look and sound of ric's, but they're not comfortable to play at all. Maybe you could try attaching a fender-style thumbrest to the pickguard or body?
  5. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Take the cover off and presto, space enough to put your thumb on the picup, that what i did with my ricks
  6. Says you :p:)

I dont anchor my thumb at all...its a bad habit IMO. But if you must...i agree with the others, and attach a thumbrest. :)
  7. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Well yeah, says me ;) . I forgot a disclaimer abbreviation: YMMV, IMHO, etc. I've wanted a Rickenbacker since I started playing, but every time budget allows, I go check one out and remember how poorly they seem to accomodate my hands. 'Tis a damn shame.

And it's not so much an anchorage problem, either, as my hands tend to be all over the place. I think it's the neck PUP. I hit it constantly while flamenco strumming and plucking. Very uncomfortable. :(
  8. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I have a 79 fretless Ric 4001, play fingerstyle with the cover on, and personally find it to be the most comfortable bass when playing either sitting or standing. :bassist:

I have found that I can anchor my thumb well enough on the screw by the back pickup near the bridge, or on the pickguard when playing near the neck. For any string higher than the E, I will anchor my thumb on the E string.

IMO there is always some degree of a learning curve and slight adjustment when playing any new bass and you may have to taylor your playing to that particular bass. My playing style and hand positioning is obviously different when playing my SR5, and was different when I had my P-bass or any of the warwicks I've owned in the past.
  9. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    The screw by the bridge is the only option I see besides mounting a Fender type thumbrest.

For all other strings, I do anchor my thumb on the E, A, or D strings.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Learning to "float" IMO will be a big help when playing. Not only does it free up your hand, you can also mute the strings you aren't playing for a cleaner tone. Especially for studio applications.
  11. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Well, I only need it for the E string. I don't agree that it is a bad habit anchoring your thumb on the thumbrest and especially on the E, A or D strings. I think it is a good habit which helps mute the strings and tightens up your tone. No sympathetic vibrations from other strings.
  12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO I've never personally viewed anchoring my thumb as a bad thing. :confused: It helps me have more strength and control with my plucking hand, plus it mutes the string(s) that I'm not playing at that moment. My thumb rests against my Ric's neck, neck pickup, pickguard, rear pickup(the cover's been removed) and strings. I agree with the post concerning a learning curve when you buy a new bass, It just takes time and patience, but you'll get it. If you really like the sound of a Ric, don't let this issue scare you away.
  13. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I would just pound a small nail through your thumb - it will be suitably anchored! (sorry - couldn't resist)
  14. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Just anchor your thumb on top of the pick guard. Works for me! ;)
  15. I don't own a ric but have played several and you can eather learn to play with your thumb pressing against the pickguard or take the cover off and use that. I think that RIC's where designed to be played more like a guitar. you just have to get used to it - you'll figure something out.

or mabey it is just not the right bass for you, they're not for everyone.
  16. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I don't exactly understand the meaning of this thread. Looks like we're talking about finding a place on a RIC to rest our thumbs, but how many models today have a thumb rest ? And What do most other basses have for thumb resting and that is missing on a RIC ?

I mean, there's nothing more for thumb resting on a StingRay or on an F-Bass, and you can play fingerstyle on tehm though. And yes, despite of some legends, you actually can play fingerstyle on a RIC without fuss.