1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Found a TBC. Need advice. TBC. The Bass Company.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThomasLM800, Mar 23, 2018.

1. ThomasLM800

ThomasLM800

Apr 11, 2014
    Newburgh, NY
    So I rescued a 5 string bass off a guy at work for 40 bucks a few years ago sat in a closet and was going to be a project but never got around to it. Had the logo scrapped off. Went to revisit it. And did my research. Come to find out it's a TBC. Now I'm motivated after seeing the love for it here. But I need some help, I already ordered new gotoh tuners, the neck is in great shape. but I need new pots for this bad boy. But I don't know where to start. It's active and I'm not super versed in that arena. So any suggestions or advice to rehab this babe is much appreciated.

Continuum likes this.
  2. ThomasLM800

ThomasLM800

Apr 11, 2014
    Newburgh, NY
    206el35.jpg 2lyn9z.jpg 206el35.jpg oge2b6.jpg 206el35.jpg 2lyn9z.jpg oge2b6.jpg .

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. I just read a post in the luthier's forum from the guy who bought all their assets. He might still have something; I'll see if I can find that post.

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The one thing I really consider a deficiency with my TBC is the preamp - no guts at all. I'd tear it out and start over. Probably will on mine.

ThomasLM800 likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I hope you can get it up and running. The old American TBC’s are some cool basses.

ThomasLM800 likes this.
  6. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    The bass you have is one of the early USA Made basses, before they were redesigned, made in China, and then made in USA. When the be bass you have was made, TBC usually used name brand pickups and preamps (if it had a preamp). The original cost of these early basses were quite a bit higher then the redesigned ones that sold for btwn $400 and $500 new for a 5 string. I have a couple of the redesigned ones, and the preamp is definitely at a "cost efficient" level, but very usable (to the point of getting compliments on it at jams.)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. ThomasLM800

ThomasLM800

Apr 11, 2014
    Newburgh, NY
    Thanks for the responses. I'm just trying to figure out what pots and pre amp to get to be able to replace the mods. Or where to get them. I fairly certain that it blend volume and tone any suggestions?

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I say just get an Aguilar preamp and pots and be done with it.

9. John Glosson

John Glosson

Jul 23, 2018
    I have one of these in red lacquer finish I bought brand new in 1998. I'm selling it to cover some medical expenses for my wife. It's in perfect condition, all original parts and hardshell case. Send me a message if interested.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021