1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Found a unique bass and need to know any info

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rakess, Aug 22, 2001.

1. rakess

rakess

Aug 22, 2001
    I know that I don't have much information but any help would be appreciated...

I went to my local used instument shop and found am upright bass he had there. It has a stamp in the inside that says made in England... It has a squared off bodykind of trapizoid shaped... does anyone know what this might be? It seems to play fairly nice.... I am a bass guitarist so i don't know too much on how it plays.... How much should i spend for this.... He is asking $200.

Please help if you can.

Rakess

2. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Sounds like an English made Bass Balilika which is a Russian design and used in Russian folk music. I'd say you can't go wrong at $200.

3. rakess

rakess

Aug 22, 2001
    I will have a photo coming soon but here is a very bad artist representation that might help...[​IMG]

4. Balalaika's tend to have only 3 strings, the top two tuned in unison and the lower one a (5th?) up from that. And the body would be triangular with an extremely curved back. I've wanted a bass balaika since first time I saw one in St.Petersburg, they're crazy.