Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Found Ampeg amp/speaker outfit - is it a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CYoung, Dec 24, 2001.

1. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Ok, I found an Ampeg SVT350 head and a matching 4x10+horn cab for about $600-$700 at a local shop. It is in good shape aside from the plastic sliders missing off of a few of the EQ sliders (they can still be manipulated, just no little plastic tips).

I know little about Ampeg gear. Is this a good deal? Is this a tube or solid state amp? What should I look for when I go back later and try it out in more detail?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Is that an SVT350AV? Because on the Ampeg site, thats all I found with 350 in it. The AV is the Anniversary Edition. I don't know much about pricing, but I know the SVT-350AV has the normal tube preamp and MOSFET poweramp in it.

Have you played other amps? Are you positive you want Ampeg? Whats your price range? You might something more to your liking, but if this satisfies it, I say look into it. Maybe someone else could help on the pricing of 1 of these suckers.

Good luck on your amp journey!:)

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Actually it is all solid state, with the same components of the B-2R.

(POST 500!!!! :p)

4. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Upon reflection, I think it is the SVT 350AV. I was hoping to find someone here who could tell me a bit about its sound and whether $700 is a good price to pay for this unit. Anyone?!?!

5. well, the AV versions are sliver tolex covering, if it has the sliver tolex then it's an AV

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I certainly wouldn't shell out 7 bills for that rig. I don't like that amp at all and the cab is mediocre at best.

What is it you specifically want to know about the sound? Play through it and decide if it sounds good to you. That's really all that matters. Good luck.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The svt 350 usually sells used for about $350 and the ampeg classic series 410he is $350 to $400 used. So if it is all in good working order and you like the sound of the equipment then I would say it is a fair deal. Offer them $600 and see if they will take it, that would be a good deal.

8. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Thanks for the heads-up guys. I am going to go after work and try the unit out and see if I like the sound. I will try to get specifics on model and age, etc. Thanks!

9. Be aware that the SVT350 (which is the B2R in a snazzy cabinet, and is solid-state all the way) will run out of juice pretty quickly if you're placing it in a loud setting. My B2R just didn't cut it whatsoever (350w/4ohms? yeah, right Mr Inflate-Our-Wattage-On-Paper!) with a 4x10 and 2 loud guitarists.

10. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Well, I tried the amp and cab today and was not impressed. the head was an SVT 350H - all solid state. Teh cab was a matching 4x10. The whole outfit just did not give me a good sound, no matter how I tweaked it. Also, two of the EQ sliders were broken off flush with the face plate. One could be moved with a fingernail, the other only with some sort of tool. Not a good way to treat an amp! I had to pass on this amp/cab combo. I just was not impressed. Thanks to youg uys for the help on this!