1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Found an interest in drumming

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by oniman7, Aug 21, 2012.

1. I've been practicing with a drummer who leaves his electronic set at my house so he doesn't have to pack it up every week and haul it back and forth.

Strangely enough, my old drummer told me that he learned to play from the video game Rockband at first. If you put it on expert mode, it's very close to actual songs on drums, only some notes are shared between pads (only being 4). Even the kick rhythms are real and varied. So I put it on expert, used the drum trainer, got some independence going in my right leg, etc.

Today I decided there was no reason for me to have access to a perfectly good kit and not know how to play it. So I went out in the garage with my knowledge of rudiments (well, stroke, doubles, flams, and paradiddles) and some of the basic beats I'd learned and played for about 4 hours. I really enjoyed it and I was picking it up pretty fast. I had even managed to get some double bass triplets down, something I never thought I'd be able to do. My right thigh is killing me from the drum pedal work, but I'm ready to go back at it again tomorrow. I've just graduated school and have a ton of time so I've been spending 4-8 hours a day playing bass, guitar, working on recording, teaching lessons, etc. I think I finally figured out the lag problem I was having with recording, so I think it would be awesome to be able to record my own drum stuff. It's always been sort of a weird barrier for me. I knew I could pick up a stringed instrument (say Mandolin) and get it pretty fast, but percussion was a totally different thing. Like brass or woodwind.

By the end of this week I'm hoping to have a full song down. A fun one. Not some White Stripes kick drum stuff, or Rush drum solos, but something solid and interesting to play.

I'm also going to be looking for piano lessons for my brother and I. Can't wait! :hyper:

2. Oops. Thought this was in miscellaneous. If any mods stumble in, would you mind moving it for me?

3. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I play multiple instruments as well. My 7 year old seems to air drum in the car so for his birthday I'm gonna get him a cheap set and plan on spending time on it. A lot of people here say they gravatate towards the sound of a bass. I don't. Different things in different songs intrigue me. Its hard to keep up your skills on all and lately the bass has been getting the short end, but man is it fun.