Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Found An Old Bass- What kind is it? Pics...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groovit, Jan 14, 2005.

1. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Hey all-

Just discovered that my dad played bass years ago. He still has his axe, so I snapped some pictures. What kind is it? There's no identification of any kind on it, so good luck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Appears to be Japanese from the late 60's/early 70's, or perhaps early Korean. Came in many brands...Tiesco and Conqueror to name a couple.

3. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Could be an ancient Carvin or Aria ?

4. hey!
    i have one very much like that one...
    from my years of research (literally) i have found that mine is most likely a brand called "Zimgar"
    mine is the same color and same shape and short scale (is yours short scale as well?) with similar pickups, and the same metal pickguard, except i had a pickguard on the top horn as well (think fender jazzmaster or jaguar)

i haven't been able to find much on zimgar, but i would bet that yours is a zimgar...

5. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I've got one somewhat like that, too. Well, what's most similar is that it has no identifying marks (like name, number) on it and it's really funky. I bought mine about 15 years ago in a pawn shop for $50 with no thought of playing it. Instead of knobs, it has presto-change-o buttons/switches. The finish is all crackled up.

Question: Is yours super heavy?

Good luck on your search.

6. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Superbassman- No, it's not schort scale, though it may seem like that form the pictures. It actually had a wooden thing on the pickguard, you can still see one of the screws that held it there. I assume that was for those who liked to play with their thumb.

Bluemonk- Crazily heavy! I strapped it up and tried standing for awhile...Insanely heavy. Good amount of neck dive too, which was unsettling...Almost took out a lamp when I first put it on, the neck dove so much.

7. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Whoa. I have one exactly like that, except it says orpheus on the headstock. I'll get a picture later. The neck dive is HORRIBLE! And the neck is like a baseball bat. But, hey, the finish is cool. :)

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My guitarist has one very similar to that. It is a St. George.

9. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    St. George. Never heard of it, lol. Sounds knockoff-y

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It was a pretty common brand in the sixties, at budget shops, Montgomery Ward's, Western Auto, etc. Like Teisco, DelRey, and a bunch of others.

11. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    No idea what it is, but does it remind anyone else of the current Ibanez Jetking series guitars?

12. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    ZimGar or Kent. Those beauties were common in the early 60's. The nameplates are the only identifier as the practice of the time was to order the basses and then put your own brand on it. Both ZimGar and Kent were importers who offered a wide variety of instruments, most of them pretty cheaply made. I used to drool at them in pawnshop windows in my youth. I actually owned one ( my 2nd bass?) but it had already been butchered by cutting off one of the horns to change the body shape. But it came with a Gibson humbucker.

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I use to own a bass like this.
    Person who sold it to me said it was a Danelectro??