1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Found an old friend...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by drummer5359, Feb 4, 2017.

1. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I lived in south Florida from July of 1979 until May of 1991. My brother moved to Florida ten months after me and moved back to Pittsburgh a year before me, so we had a lot of shared friends and experiences down there.

There was one friend in particular that we had lost touch with and had always wondered about him. We had a long conversation about some of our crazier misadventures that included Roger just a few weeks ago.

Last night my brother, his wife, my wife and I went to dinner to celebrate his birthday. Over dinner he told me that he found Roger after all of these years. Roger has a very common last name, so I had never had any luck locating him on my own. When I got home I was able to find him on FB now that I knew where he lived and sent him a friend request. We ended up messaging back and forth until late at night catching up.

He had told his wife hundreds of crazy stories over the years. The funny thing is that he considered me one of the biggest influences of his life. He had been raised in an extremely conservative family, was shy, and didn't have a lot of friends growing up. When he and I worked together in our early twenties I introduced him to rock and roll, wild women, fast cars and pot. I apologized for corrupting him, but he said that it was the best thing that ever happened to him. He can't imagine how boring his life would have been if I didn't teach him about "fun".

Although I've always considered Roger a good friend, I never realized that I had changed his life so much.

tangentmusic, old spice and Stewie26 like this.
  2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I corrupted my young girlfriend, later to be wife, in almost the same way. But like with you, everything turned out to be okay in the end.

tangentmusic and Grumry like this.
  3. all my old friends are drunk drivers
    when I try to get together with them, they want to drink until they're well drunk & then sing karaoke
    the only thing worse than their pronunciation of karaoke is the fact that they drive home half in the bag & think nothing of it
    karaoke = kara okay (not carry okie)

Grumry likes this.
  4. About 3 years ago , a friend of mine was working at the W.Va. DMV. A guy came up to her counter to register a vehicle and she remembered his name from the old days (about 35 years ago.) She asked if he knew me. He said he did and she introduced herself. They chatted for a while and she got his phone number and gave it to me. I called as soon as I got it and we hooked up again. He had sang for a band back in the day and we ended up putting a band together. It lasted a year or so with a few paying gigs but I was in two other bands at the time that both got pretty busy and paying a lot more than the one we put together. The band kind of fell apart but we still keep in touch from time to time. I really can't tell too many of the stories about us from back in the day 'cause the statute of limitations hasn't run out on some of them.. Suffice it to say , we raised some holy hell together.

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    It's great to re-connect and rekindle relationships with "long lost" friends.

Glad you were able to.