Found an old WalkingMan's Series SWR 12 in the hallway... Know nothing about it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Will Dernis, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Will Dernis

Will Dernis

Nov 4, 2011
    -not sure what section to put this in, put it in repair section also-

I'm a uke player (I know NOTHING about bass) and I ran across this bass amp at the part of my apartment where people leave free **** (I love it) and tonight I found this Working Man's Series 12 (integrated Bass System) sitting there. It's not in super rough condition, it looks like it would still play but it has no cords. I think this is the reason it was left there.

This looks like an older model, it looks more vintage than the ones I've found online. Like I said it has no cords so I can't test it, but I have faith! The speaker looks fine, the can't see the tweeter very well but it all looks good. The overall unit is in fairly well shape, it has some frizz around it where the felt material is on the outside and the handle is a little iffy, But all the buttons and knobs are there. All the lettering is clear, even has the WorkingMan'sSWR12 on it.

Anyways my main question is about cords. I don't want to go pluggin random cords into it and fry it (if it's not already fried). I've tried to find info online but since this seems to be an older model I get mied results.

So 1) can you help me out with what kinda cords I need? Doesn't even have a plug-in cord
    2) think I could lug it to a music store and see if they can plug it in?
    3) what do you estimate it's worth? I think it's on the lower end of the SWR12 spectrum but whatever, found it free in a hallway.

Also, random question, since I am a ukulele player (I have an Ovation Applause UAE148 acoustic electric that SHREDS), is it possible to put bass strings on an actual tenor uke?

I'm thinking my best bet is to find a music store and see what they have to say but would love to hear from you all, wouldn't mind getting into bass with this ugly beuat.

Attached Files:

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    1st, I highly doubt someone tossed an amp because they didn't have a cable.

2nd, exactly what cables are missing? You should have one that connects the speaker to the amp (you'll want a speaker cable), and then another than connects the instrument to the input of the amp (you'll want an instrument cable).

3. Will Dernis

Will Dernis

Nov 4, 2011
    It has no cables at all. People come and go in these apartments a lot, you can find lots of good things. I don't know anything about the cables, only amp I ever messed with was a ****** First Act on my ukulele

4. Will Dernis

Will Dernis

Nov 4, 2011
    Think my best bet would be luggin it to a music store and seeing what they have to say?

5. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Belgium
    I've played one in a store.
    It sounded great, good bass definition, great projection despite the only 12'.

Try to get the needed cable to test it.

6. MrFred

MrFred

Mar 25, 2007
    Honolulu, HI
    does the back look like this? if so, its just the standard 3 prong cable. instrument cable to plug in to your bass/uke. btw... first 4 stringed instrument i learned was the uke. IMG_6437.jpg

7. If it has no cables at all, then I recommend taking it to a music shop or a luthier because I assume it is not only missing the electrical cord, but also the cable that plugs in between the amp and the speaker. I have an SWR Workingman's 15 and the cable that plugs into the amp is smaller than a standard 1/4" cable jack. Just to make you aware. Yours may be a standard 1/4" but if it's not and it's missing, you'll probably need to special order the correct part.

8. Will Dernis

Will Dernis

Nov 4, 2011
    It looks almost identical to that ecept that weight cord (pardon my terminology) is thinner and shorter, but other than that it pretty much looks eactly the same. The cords on the front are weird though, it has several different kinds, some with pronngs.

EDIT: tried to get pics up with my phone but failed. Looks the same as yours, but older-ish

9. Will Dernis

Will Dernis

Nov 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

That's the red light of success, guys. Dont have a cable to test her yet but she pops on/off nicely and doesn't make weird noises. So whadda think? Mega score? I've been wanting an amp for a long time.

How would putting bass strings on a uke sound? I've never played the bass, should I just stick to uke?

10. cjmatt

cjmatt

Jan 9, 2011
    Founder: 62ndSongProject
    I haven't played a uke in a very long time, but simply throwing bass strings on one may not be the best thing for your instrument. There are many differences in the two types of strings, and you may end up doing some damage to your uke. A tenor uke has a scale length of something like 17 inches. A bass guitar has a scale length of almost twice that. Also, the diameter of the strings may not work on your bridge and nut. I recommend going to your local uke shop and talking to someone with some more knowledge on your particular instrument.

Good score on the amp! I wish I had found it!

11. Will Dernis

Will Dernis

Nov 4, 2011
    Any guess on what this amp might be worth?

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Okay, you've got a power cable since you've shown a picture that it's plugged in and lit up.

You've got a speaker cable, since you say the "weight cord" is thinner and shorter. Just an FYI...that's a speaker cable. Assuming you're talking about the only cord shown in that picture of the back of the amp...

From searching through google images, the front of the amp has a few different inputs/outputs. It should have them all labeled...

Balanced DI (the one with the prongs I assume)
    Tuner Output
    Passive Input
    Active Input

Don't worry about the Balanced DI, it's an output. It sends a signal to a recording console or mixing board. Same with the Tuner Output, although it just sends a signal to a tuner.

The Passive input is meant for most basses, and the Active Input is usually a padded down input...probably around -15db less than the passive.

You need an instrument cable with 1/4" ends on both sides. Plug one end into the passive input and the other into the bass.

$200ish?

EDIT: I've found a few going for $250 used. Not sure on the condition on them vs. yours, but just to give you an idea.

13. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    i say mega score. it's a great amp. get an instrument cable and plug that e/a uke in. as for playing bass or not, that's your call, but i do highly recommend it.

14. MrFred

MrFred

Mar 25, 2007
    Honolulu, HI
    If you wanna play a uke bass, get a kala ubass. Pretty neat little thing, but plugging a standard uke (with a pickup installed) into a bass amp gives me better results over plugging into a guitar amp. Much fuller tone. I have seen actual pros do the latter tho. Maybe they just don't know gear, but I could definitely hear (the unintentional) distorted tone coming from their guitar amps.

15. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    when you play through a "WalkingMan" are you required to play only walking lines?

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It's a combo amp, meaning the speaker should already be connected to the amplifier. The cord you plug in the wall should be the same kind of power cord that's in the back of your computer. Many other things use this same type of power cord. You'll need an instrument cable to plug in the front, often times called a guitar cord, and any electric instrument to see if it works. Even though it's a bass amp, you could use a guitar, little casio keyboard or anything electric to test it. Start with the volume down and bring it up gradually. Check any fuses in the back, some people don't even know to check fuses and just assume the whole thing is broken.

17. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    :rollno:

18. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    The WorkingMan's great, probably the best budget combo in my view. Great score!

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I sold an older version of that last year for $350. It is a good practice amp, and you may be able to play small venues with it. Mine sounded pretty good with a SABDDI between the bass and the input.

All you need is an IEC power cable (a computer power cable would work) to plug it in. Regular quarter-inch instrument cable for the front end.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think "WalkingMan" is Behringer's knockoff of the WorkingMan series.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021