Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Found it at the pawn shop.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rkatapt, Aug 26, 2005.

1. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    No name brand axe here, was one day in a pawn shop over in Garland, TX and saw this hanging on the wall......... ignore the crappy pics all my money goes to bass gear and not cameras :)

[​IMG]

I believe its a swamp ash. Serial number on back is stamped 00004. It has EMG J's and a passive pre, tone in this thing is amazing fast and dirty from the bridge bold and fat from the neck.

[​IMG]
    Texas Bass Guitars made locally here, anyone know the luthier who made it, google search found nothing.....

[​IMG]
    if you can see past the blur there are the EMG J's and I believe a swamp ash body

[​IMG]
    this pic shows the solid body neck thru

Only down falls is the neck on this puppy is a bit swole, I play warwicks so I like the big necks but the wick neck is nothing compared to the softball bat neck on this thing. Tone is amazing though like nothing else I've heard plus I love the body shape. I am thinking about getting some sand paper to the neck get the laquer off and oiling or staining it <---- anyone have any other suggestions. Ohh and the greatest thing is I haggled the pawn shop down to $250 for it. So has anyone else seen one of these, I have serial 00004 so maybe there atleast nos. 1, 2, and 3 out there.......

2. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    thats wicked man :bassist:

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Nice find for the money! Not sure what to think of the "bull horns" headstock, but it's certainly unique if nothing else!

4. Now that is different!!:bassist:

Peace,

T

5. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Texas Bass Guitars
    817-336-5389

6. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I like the bull horns, very unique maybe not for everyone but I am from Texas and we are known to have the Texas pride....Plus I am a Longhorns fan....Hook em Horns

Awesome thanks...........

7. Hey, is it just me, or do pawn shops these days have nothing but crap in stock?

I live in the Hamilton/Toronto area of Southern Ontario, and the selection seems really terrible these days. When I was younger, I would go into pawn shops and see several Fenders, Gibsons or Ricks any day of the week. Now, it is rare for me to see anything that isn't an el cheapo import or copy.

There are some good vintage shops in Toronto but the pawn shops are a complete waste of time now.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The pawn shop business ain't what it used to be. Most of them are chained owned and have interconnected inventory listings. Plus, with today's electronic means, it is VERY easy to find out exactly what you have and what it is worth. They even have instant access into police DBs so they can avoid handling stolen stuff.

I think ebay has really impacted it as well. First of all, there's no need to pawn an instrument in the first place unless you actually plan on paying off the note and getting it back. You can sell it on ebay and get more money for it.

Plus, I see many pawn dealers selling stuff on ebay as well. Anything they get that will draw decent money goes up there. They get their cash back much quicker than if they let it sit on a sales floor.

9. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Here too. I've never seen anything good in a pawn shop here. rkatapt is lucky to have found a keeper. Our pawn shops only carry beat to hell low end Ibanezes that are marked up 300%.

10. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    THAT is a deal, O wise pawn-shopper! I love it when a find like this comes along once in a blue moon. The body shape looks like a normal Fender that someone massacred with a band-saw. I would have bought it for sure...

11. That's the truth. All I got from Google was how to fish for "BASS". I'm glad other posters found some info. Are you close enough to take it in to the "Texas Bass" place and have them take a look?

Cool looking bass! I like the "horns". Gives it quite a unique look! Congrats on the score! ...and a 5-ver at that! All we seem to find around here is "git-tars", not many good basses these days. It's fun to look around, though, especially when you come across things like this one. Play on!

12. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Yeah I think the reason I was able to score so well was because in there data base for musical instruments Texas Bass Guitars shows up as nothing. So they figure its some no name brand which in a way it si a no name brand. But the construction, aesthetics, and electronics on it ave been well worth it........

13. I dont know if I'm too keen on the body shape, but I'm sure if I actually owned it, and it played well, it would grow on me fast

And I'm a huge fan of the headstock. But then again, I think that Ovation headstocks are nice too :ninja:

14. Looks like something that Wish wishes he could make! :bag: :D

15. I saw one in a local music store last year in Fort Worth Texas but it was a four string and I wanted a fiver. I played it and it was built like a tank and sounded really solid.

16. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I am taking it had the same headstock was the body the same shape? Oh and do you remember how much it was. Last and final question what music store was it? I wouldn't mind tlaking to them wondering how many they've seen around..........

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Oh man you beat me to it. :D

18. I believe it was competition music (Kompetition Music?) on Lancaster st. and I wanna say it was in the 300-400 range.
    I've slept since then so I could be completely wrong.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The grain doesnt look like ash to me...

20. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Hrmmn then I haven't an idea what it may be, anyone else have any other suggestiosn what it may be. Would help if I had better pictures of the body..........it's definetly lighter than the warwick and the wick's a 4 banger