Found My Old Ampeg V-4B Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave44, Oct 22, 2002.

1. I was just going through all the crap in my Moms store room and low and behold there she was my old Ampeg V-4B amp, that I thought was lost and gone forever. You see, how shall I put this, a good friend left my rig sitting out in the rain one night to many wobbly pops he claims. The cab was finished a West 4X12 and the amp, I just never plugged it in again. Anyhow here she is, and I was wondering I can't for the life of me remember how she sounded, the west cab wasn't the greatest, but, so I'm wondering if it'll be worth the extra cash to fix her up, for old time sake. I still own every peice of musical gear I've ever bought for what ever reason I can't give any of them up. A part of my musical history I guess. I would appreciate any feed back.

Thanx Mo.
  2. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Dave, I wouldn't just plug the head in; how long has it been sitting?? I would get a tech involved bring it up slow on a Variac before I played through it.

Better yet, if you want to use it again just have the thing totally recapped and have the tubes tested. The tubes may very well be fine it's just the electrolytic caps that dry out over time. Just have a complete maintenance work over and it may very well surprise you with a modern cab!

3. Tapp

I'll definately take the advise and take her to a tech before I'll plug it in. The cool thing with this amp is the switch in back that allows me to select the ohms 4, 6, or 8 depending on cab specs. But like you say she may surprise me. It's been at least 25 years or more since that fatefull night, so I'll be taking it slow and easy.
  4. Definitely bring it up on a variac while monitoring line AC current to keep from smoking the power supply filter capacitors. The amp overall is probably still good since the water just dried up and you didn't ever power it up wet. Good move on your part.

If you want to use it without worries, you'll need to replace the filter capacitors. They are freaky old multi-section can capacitors which are available, but expensive. There's enough room in the chassis to add in discrete axial lead caps and tag strips to replace the FP type can capacitors. Get a knowledgable tech to do this, or else it will end up screwed up real bad. The other option is to learn how to do it yourself, because you'll do a better job than anybody else since it's your amp. I've still got my V-4B, which was my first "big" amp. Those things rule. The tubes are probably all good. Don't change them unless you get the rest of the amp up and running and someone who knows how to check bias current and output power tells you the 7027A's are weak. They never die, but sometimes they short out internally, and then they take out a screen grid resistor.

Can you tell that I love my V-4B? Through a big old efficient cab, it'll blow away practically everything modern up to about 800 Watts. And the sound is much better than anything you can buy now.

Oh, and the impedance selector is 2, 4, or 8 ohms. 100 Watts into ANY of those impedances, not just the lowest one like a solid state amp. Tubes rule.

5. V4Bs ROCK! tune er up, and have at it!
  6. broadstone

Feb 21, 2006
    Boone, NC
    I too just found my old V-4B and I kinda had the same luck you did except about 4 years ago someone had sat down a Coke on my amp and when I spun around I hit the drink with the head of my bass and the drink went all in my amp blowing it. Since that time I have been playing thru a small fender amp but recently got the urge to upgrade and by a newer amp and head and then I discovered my Ampeg. So now I am wondering if I should pay 5 to 6 hundred dollars for a new amp or take that money and fix up my v-4b.