Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Found my plasma TV

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Dec 15, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I finally got my new plasma tonight. A local high end audio/video shop was having an amazing sale, one that I could not pass up. I ended up with a Philips 50" plasma. Simply amazing TV. If anyone else is shopping for a plasma, I suggest you give the Philip's models a good look.

I spent loads of hours researching online, and shopping in stores. The model I bought is brand new, so I was not able to find much info on my exact model, but I did get some useful info about plasma's and Philips plasmas. It came down to Panasonic, Hitachi, and this Philips for us. The Philips was crisper, and brighter than the ones we checked out.

Super Bowl party at my house this year. :)

-Mike

2. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Awesome.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Thanks for the invite, but I have other plans. :D Regardless, congrats. It'll be perfect for watching the Colts at the Big Show.

4. Congrats, Mike!

Have a pic of it?

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So you found the Philips to have a better pic than the Panny of identical resolution? All the forums and whatnot seem to agree that in that price range Panny is number one, but coincidentally I just noticed last night at an electronics store that the Philips 37" seemed sharper than the Panny that was right next to it.

brad cook

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

waay to be a buzzkill, DM.

but hey, congrats on the TV, MJ.

i just got a 42" Samsung DLP, and its more than enough TV for me. last night had a few buds over and watched some NBA League Pass and the Bourne Supremacy last night on it. not too shabby!

wasnt too happy w/ the extraneous "refrigerator" like noise, but samsung tech support were all too accomodating to send a guy out to take a look. :cool:

7. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I ended up getting a 60" Sony Grand Wega LCD HD set last Christmas on a good, but not great deal. We love it. No problems whatsoever. The guys in my band saw it for the first time last weekend. It still has a WOW factor; that was the first thing out of their mouth.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yup. I hit all of the big box electronics stores and did my research. To my eyes, the Philips had this clarity around the edges of the screen that no other models in my price range did. The Panasonics are awesome TVs to be sure, but the Philips edged it out for me. The place I bought mine from has a 90 day return policy, so if I have any reservations about the Philips, I can return or exchange it.

-Mike

9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I just picked up the Samsung 42" HL-R4266W DLP last weekend and I think it's a great display also. :)

MJ,

Glad your plasma search ended well. :)

10. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    That's what it really boils down to. I, like you, did my homework for months prior to buying. While I knew other sets had different features, or were "more highly rated", I just kept coming back to the Sony which to me looked the best. Ultimately, that's what it came down to and I don't regret my decision.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't like plasmas they use too much electricity to run, and run hot so as to waste more electricity in the summer during A/C weather because of the additional load on the AC. They look beautiful though.

What kind of HDTV source are you running? OTA is the best for sports like football if you can recieve with an antenna. Go to www.antennaweb.org and look up what you can get. I get allt he channels two markets (Baltimore and Washington) in HD from one antenna in the attic. OTA PBS HD is fantastic.

I'll have the superbowl party with my DLP front projector and 96" screen.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Truer words can not be spoken. :)

When I started shopping, I used the same philosophy I learned here when buying bass gear...stay away from the hype, and buy what works for you, what sounds best. In this case, what looks best.

It's not like these sets are garbage when you get away from the cheapo sets, and I was sure to get a good set in the price range I was shopping. So, just like I would with a bass, I lined them up and started checking them out to see what looked best to my eyes, in my living room. The liberal return policy makes it easy too. If it ends up looking bad in certain lighting, I can return it for a different set. I doubt it though, this Philips is suh-weet.

-Mike

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    holy crap!

that's the size of a small movie theatre screen. you might as well have people pay you admission... lol

nice!

but hey, are you having the "frige" like sound comin from the rear of the set, too? a tech guy is supposed to be here next week. hope he can help me out.

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that's a pretty huge tv. :eek:

now if only there were anything on... :p

15. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    BANGO! Thank God for DVR. There's always something to watch then delete. Damn cable.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    seriously,

stuff like podcasting and Tivo have TOTALLY changed the way i get my onair entertainment. i'm longer just sitting thru mindless commercials, rather i watch what i want, and heck, i actually have more "free" time leftover!

once i had Tivo'd MNF (colts/pats), and afterwards, i thought, "wow, that didnt take long at all!" and now when i'm in my car, i listen to the talkradio i want, without sitting thru the really boring crap.

they're no longer background noise, but i've become a truly "active" listener. heck, even in my conversations, i'm more attentive! quite amazing.

17. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Hey PhilBiker, What kind of antenna are you using? I have a Recoton powered antenna in my attic. A big, round, plastic thing. I have trouble picking stations up. Depending which network I watch, I'd have to go up and turn the thing t o get it in.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Channel Master 4221A. Look it up at Warren Electronics - fantastic antenna!!!!

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey, I wasn't buzzkilling! I agreed with him that despite all that I hear about Panasonics being superior, the one time I've compared Philips and Panny sidexside the Philips looked better.

brad cook

20. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Wish I could give yall the deals I get at work hehe. We got Infocus 61" DLP's atm hehe (and damn if I dont already have a 42" Mitsubishi in my bedroom and a 65" Mitsubishi in the living room - so I cant even take advantage lol)